Face Change???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MCC

Face Change???

#1 Post by MCC »

Hi guys. Has anyone's face changed dramatically since having braces put on. I lost a lot of weight but have since gained most of it back. My face however looks caved in and my jaw kind of looks sunken in. Everyone has commented and says I look different. Has this happened to anyone? Will my face go back to how it was when the braces come off? My ortho says he hasn't changed my bite.

MCC

#2 Post by MCC »

My bone structure has definitely changed. My ortho says I just lost a lot of weight but I have been thinner before and never looked like this. My cheeks literally stick out and it looks as if I'm sucking in my cheeks. I feel more insecure now than I did with crooked teeth! :-(

ingyandbert

#3 Post by ingyandbert »

It's not that that braces are changing your facial structure, your mouth is having to stretch further to cover the braces and it pulls the skin forward from just under the cheekbone making your cheeks look more sunken. I've only had braces for 8 days, but I noticed it right away. If you lose weight, the effect is going to be even more noticeable.

MCC

#4 Post by MCC »

I hope you're right. Does this happen to everyone? I feel like no one else with braces can relate.

ingyandbert

#5 Post by ingyandbert »

I would think how noticeable it is depends on your face. On some people (especially those with thin faces already) it would be very noticeable and others probably less so.

MCC

#6 Post by MCC »

I feel a lot much better. Thank you for responding. Do you think my face will go back to normal after the braces come off?

ingyandbert

#7 Post by ingyandbert »

I would think so for the most part, since the skin won't be stretching that way anymore. My ortho told me I'd have a wider smile in the end, so I will look a little different than before.

MCC

#8 Post by MCC »

Thank you!!

dena

#9 Post by dena »

MCC did you have any teeth removed? My ortho said my profile will change, but that's the desired effect...that's why I had teeth removed (overbite and crowding). I know removing teeth can have a permanent affect on your face, but I don't think anything else would be permanent.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

JeepGirl

#10 Post by JeepGirl »

I've been told by a few people I look like I've lost weight ... which I haven't, so I suspect it's either due to my face changing shape a little or that I'm spiking more of my hair ... or maybe a combination of the two!
I don't have the spiked hair but I can relate to this comment KK! I've had a lot of people tell me that I look great and have lost a lot of weight. I admit, I've lost a little, but not enough to really show. I've pretty much have maintained my usual weight, however, I'll take that nice comment any day! :wink: I will say that getting my bottom braces around Thanksgiving helped me to not gain weight during the holidays! :lol:

I know my face has changed because of the braces but it doesn't bother me. My teeth are looking great! :mrgreen:

By the way, IT'S MY BRACES 6 MONTH ANNIVERSARY! :-V

Silverware

#11 Post by Silverware »

JeepGirl wrote:
By the way, IT'S MY BRACES 6 MONTH ANNIVERSARY! :-V
Happy Anniversary!

My ortho spoke at some length with me about the change I will see in my facial structure. He made it a point to discuss how he is concerned with the shape of my face as well as the shape of my teeth. I currently have an overbite and jet, so I will notice some significant change as teeth shift into their proper place. I am also having teeth removed from my upper row, so there will be some shifting that will cause my upper lip to move backward. My ortho mentioned that he is going to take care as to not allow my teeth to move so far back that my upper lip loses its shape, so I won't look like I'm 80 years old!

MCC

#12 Post by MCC »

I did have a bottom front tooth removed but both my ortho and my dentist said this wouldn't affect my facial structure. My ortho told me that all he is doing is straightening my teeth and not changing my bite. I don't like the change in my face, I HATE it. Had I known this would have happened I would have never agreed to get braces.

MCC

#13 Post by MCC »

I did talk to my ortho and he compared my before pic and told me I do look different but that it's probably due to my weight loss. (I've been thinner before and my face didn't look like this). I told him that gained the weight back and my face still appears the same. He tried to make me feel like I was being petty and asked me if I was depressed and that it may be related to stress which made no sense. He told me he has been doing this for 15 years and he has never had anyone complain about their facial features changing. I should mention that he does accelerated orhodontics. My treatment is only 6 months.

This experience has me depressed and I am not even excited about having straight teeth, especially since I can't find anyone who has had the same experience.

dena

#14 Post by dena »

MCC--did you say it is your cheeks that have changed or your profile or both? I think gaining and losing weight doesn't always produce the same result...I mean, you can look differently each time. If you think your ortho's story is sketchy, why not call your doctor to pose the reliability of this diagnosis? Sounds like something your family doctor would know more about. Also, did you post this question on the "ask a doc" thread? Perhaps you can send pics to Dr J and get his opinion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Joanna20

#15 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, I have had lots of facial changes when I had braces for the first time. The day I took them off I was a different person, for the better!
Are your teeth sticking out or something? Mine were (and still are) so that has been the biggest obstacle to putting braces, I know that untill my teeth get better I will look quite bad. But I think it's def. a good sacrifice, try and think that in 6 months everything will be fine. It goes bye so much faster than we expect! Good Luck. I'm getting braces soon (ceramic) and I know that I'll l start to cry when I get home.
Take Care
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February