Clenching/Grinding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leslie022

Clenching/Grinding

#1 Post by Leslie022 »

Have y'all noticed that after being braced, you start clenching or grinding your teeth at night. I have caught myself clenching my jaw during the day and when I wake up in the morning.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

Yes I find myself clenching my teeth at night too. It has gotten better, the first few months were the worse.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

KJM

#3 Post by KJM »

Yes I find myself clenching my teeth at night too. It has gotten better, the first few months were the worse.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

MCC

#4 Post by MCC »

I just made a post about this. I have the same problem and my ortho just told me that the grinding has to do with the movement of your teeth and will continue until until the braces are removed and your tetth have "settled" into their new positions. My grinding is so bad that it wakes me from my sleep.

rangerchic

yep

#5 Post by rangerchic »

I am with the rest of you!

Tunkabean

#6 Post by Tunkabean »

I've noticed this too.... which is why im really glad I wax up properly @ night. I suppose it will go away once my mouth relaxes with the idea of having something 'foreign' in it

Marzipan

#7 Post by Marzipan »

I have noticed some of that. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

Megera_S

#8 Post by Megera_S »

I was a clencher before braces (I do it because of stress and in my sleep) so some days my jaw is SO sore :?

I mentioned it to my ortho at my last appointment and he said it should get better as my teeth move around but if it gets worse/doesnt improve I'll have to have a night guard thingy...
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

momsbracesat42

Clenching

#9 Post by momsbracesat42 »

I clenched my teeth for about the first 10 days. I also called my ortho and was told basically the same things as everyone else that it is the teeth moving. What's funny is I only have my upper metal braces on. I won't have the bottoms on until March 7, so I will go through everything again.
----------

NotBob1

#10 Post by NotBob1 »

I am a grinder and a clencher.

My solution came as follows: I use a generic night guard provided by my Orthodontist that is called a "total guard" If any one is interested I can let you know....

I then had the problem of it falling out all night as it just sits there and is not molded to the arch. No problem, Ortho assitant suggested a chin strap. Kind of like a headgear cap with a chin attachement. :shock:

Let's just say I vetoed that one.

Then I started searching around, if you go to eBay or an online or even brick and mortar store that sells cpap equipment (for sleep apnea) you can get a fairly comfortable chin strap that is made of a soft sponge material. Yeah, you look a little silly, but only your spouse will know!

It works. I sleep better, AND it keeps me from snoring to boot! (I snore a little, not too bad.) It did take a night or two to get used to, but now it's like I don't know it is there.

-Pat
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

brandee987

#11 Post by brandee987 »

Yes! I wake up every so often during the night and my jaw is clenched so tight... I worry about it slowing my progress down...
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

Joanne

clenching and grinding

#12 Post by Joanne »

You know, I was never aware of grinding my teeth at night, until my dentist gave me a hard plastic nightguard that I chewed six holes through. Since I've gotten my braces on I catch myself clenching if I'm really concentrating on something or when I'm waking up. I'm hoping a lot will be resolved with my bite being corrected thru jaw surgery sometime this year.
~Joanne

NotBob1

#13 Post by NotBob1 »

I went through two night guards in three years. But then that's mostly why I am in braces.....Hopefully I can learn not to clench once these puppies are off!

At least I won't be breaking all of my molars. Crowns get pricey.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.