Cleaning

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cissa

Cleaning

#1 Post by Cissa »

I went for a cleaning today, and good news all around! No cavities, and the dentist said I had the healthiest gums he had ever seen for a person in full braces. Score!

That Waterpik flosser I bought is totally worth the $7!

OnMyWay

#2 Post by OnMyWay »

$7? Where do you shop? :shock:

KJM

#3 Post by KJM »

Cissa great news!! WooHoo!
I had my first cleaning since braces a couple weeks ago. They were able to get the coffee stains off a couple teeth that were at a funny angle and I was thrilled to see my teeth looking WHITE again! :)
I have not used the flosser, although I have seen it. Its nice to hear that it works, maybe I will pick one up and try it.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Cissa

#4 Post by Cissa »

I got my Waterpik from Walgreens for $6.99. I got the cheapest one, but it serves me well. I wish I would have gotten it earlier in my treatment, though, because my gums don't bleed as easily, and it's so much less o a hassle to floss everyday, what with teeth moving about and all.

Very worth the money I think.

Anticipator

#5 Post by Anticipator »

I also had my first cleaning with braces recently and my dentist commented that my gums were actually healthier -- probably because of the extra effort I had put in before the braces went on to make sure eveything was ready.

Speaking of waterpiks, ours just died after only a month or so of owning it. :(

I haven't felt nearly as clean for the week or so it's been gone.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

ingyandbert

#6 Post by ingyandbert »

If you kept the receipt it should be under warranty.

Anticipator

#7 Post by Anticipator »

ingyandbert wrote:If you kept the receipt it should be under warranty.
Girlfriend bought the waterpik and she can't find the receipt.

I did some research and it's their cordless model. Apparently the options I want are available in pretty much every other model. I've already found a new addition for my Amazon cart.

I'll recommend against the cordless to anyone planning on buying one:

a) because it died on me.
b) the reservoir is too small to even get part of your mouth clean before it needs a refill.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

Betty Bat

#8 Post by Betty Bat »

KK,
I hope your cleaning goes better than mine did. I went for my six month cleaning on Friday - my first since getting braces on October 26. Well, it took an hour and a half. The hygenist was very nice; she had braces as an adult and gave me a lot of advice. She advised using a Sonicare Elite, so I ordered one from Ebay Friday night. And, she talked about saliva and plaque and flossing. One of the things that was interesting was that she said that while she had her braces, she could floss without looking - just by touch. I'm going to have to try that.

As I said in another post, going forward, my Sonicare and my proxy brush are going to be my best friends from now on.

Betty Bat

#9 Post by Betty Bat »

I've got sapphire upper brackets (with a few metal brackets in the back where they don't show) and metal lower brackets. It seemed like there was a lot more plaque buildup around the metal brackets, on both the lower and upper, than around the sapphire brackets. This could be because of a lot of different reasons (which teeth have which brackets, relative position to salivary glands, my brushing), but has anyone else noticed anything like that?

The hygenist said that any roughness on the edges of the brackets do collect plaque, so maybe that is a difference between them.