This may sound like a stupid question.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bahamasblondear

This may sound like a stupid question.....

#1 Post by bahamasblondear »

....but, are your braces still on when you take a retainer impression?

Tunkabean

#2 Post by Tunkabean »

I think its a pretty good question. Can't hurt to ask. Sorry I don't know the answer though, but I'd like to know as well :)

johnnys_angel

#3 Post by johnnys_angel »

Hello! :D That definitely isn't a stupid question. It's different for everyone, some orthodontists take them the appt. before debanding so you will have them right when you get your braces off. Others wait until the day you get your braces off (afterwards..or sometimes before), and then you get your retainers later. Oh, and PS: getting the mold gunk out of your braces isn't nearly as bad as it sounds :)
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

bahamasblondear

#4 Post by bahamasblondear »

Thanks everyone for the input! :D

Dark_angel

#5 Post by Dark_angel »

When my boyfriend had his fixed braces off he had the moulds done the week before with his braces on and came away with retainers on the day he had them taken off.

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

My ortho told me that it would take about five days to make the retainer after the braces are off. So, I'm assuming he does it when he takes the braces off.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

KJM

#7 Post by KJM »

My son had his braces off and they took impressions then. We had to go back in a few hours to pick up the new retainer.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

dkt3

#8 Post by dkt3 »

Ok I may not get it but if you have your moulds done before you get your braces off then wont the impression be of your braces AND your teeth? And I know that retainers done have the impression of each bracket in them!!

spragers

#9 Post by spragers »

I go in in about two weeks to get debanded :D and get impressions made, then I'll go in a couple days after that to pick up my retainer.

bbsadmin

#10 Post by bbsadmin »

There are no stupid questions on this forum, only stupid answers, LOL. :wink:

But seriously...

My ortho took the retainer impressions when my braces were still on. It depends on the ortho. If you're getting a clear Essix retainer, and if it's being made right there in the office, then of course they would take off your braces first, because it would only be a matter of minutes before your retainer is done. But if you're getting a Hawley (which is usually made at an off-site lab), it could take a week to get your retainer. So the ortho may take impressions with your braces still on.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Teigyr

#11 Post by Teigyr »

Was it difficult to get molds with your braces still on? I go in on the 21st for "status molds" to see how close we are to surgery. I am already sketchy about them and my pre-braces experience was not good! I couldn't breathe and felt like I was going to suffocate. I will try to relax this time but am worried that having the braces on will make the molds take longer to get out. It seems like the mold stuff would stick!

Evelyn

#12 Post by Evelyn »

Mine takes them when the braces are on...my original impressions appt was for Feb. 8th and then debanding on March 1 so yep definately when they're on!
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Joanna20

#13 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! The first time I had braces they took the molds when the braces were still in my mouth! I don't know how they do it these days; It makes sence that you still have them on because otherwise, between the time you take the braces off and the time you get the retainer, your teeth could move.
Hope that helped!
Take care,
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February