Repositioning brackets and switching to metal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rebraced

Repositioning brackets and switching to metal

#1 Post by Rebraced »

My ortho told me on my last visit that he would have to reposition a few of my brackets on my bottom teeth. I was wondering how common repositioning of brackets is. Also I have clear on both top and bottom and they are very rough compared to metal brackets I am told. I get sores inside my bottom lip becasue of the sharp edges of the brackets.
What I am thinking is if they have to be removed to be repositioned, maybe I should just switch to metal on the bottom since they don't show anyway. Any thoughts about this?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

Eleni

Re: Repositioning brackets and switching to metal

#2 Post by Eleni »

Rebraced wrote:I was wondering how common repositioning of brackets is.
I wouldn't say any one technique is "common" in orthodontia since every case is different, but repositioning would be necessary on teeth that are not in a proper location/position to have the bracket placed initially. I've had one bracket repositioned on the top because there wasn't enough tooth exposed to have it placed properly the first time. It may also be done to one tooth/bracket on the bottom once the tooth in front of it moves out of its way.
Rebraced wrote:Also I have clear on both top and bottom and they are very rough compared to metal brackets I am told. I get sores inside my bottom lip becasue of the sharp edges of the brackets.

What I am thinking is if they have to be removed to be repositioned, maybe I should just switch to metal on the bottom since they don't show anyway. Any thoughts about this?
I have ceramic on top and metal on the bottom, and find the metal to be scratchier actually. My bottom lip is much more "raw" than the top. But everyone is going to have a different experience. You just need to make a decision you're going to be happy with.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Evelyn

#3 Post by Evelyn »

I'm getting re-bracketed too next Wednesday, I think it's fairly normal although not standard.
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Way Too Old For This

#4 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I have had brackets repositioned twice already since being braced in September. Once, it was two brackets on the bottom, and the next visit he did 4 on the bottom. When they were off I got a preview of what they look like now. And they look so HUGE without the brackets.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Metal Mouth Guy

#5 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

I've got metal top and bottom, and the bottom is always "scratchier". It's kind of a "Duh!" As Meryaten said, "which side moves"? Sand paper won't bother you if you don't move.

And yes, I've had a couple of brackets repositioned. I had bad crowding in the lower front four.

MMG

Eleni

#6 Post by Eleni »

Metal Mouth Guy wrote:I've got metal top and bottom, and the bottom is always "scratchier". It's kind of a "Duh!" As Meryaten said, "which side moves"? Sand paper won't bother you if you don't move.
So MMG, when you talk only your bottom lip moves? Huh, neat trick. :twisted:

Lemme rephrase then, when my lips are immobile and closed, I feel the bottom braces more. Even when I rub my fingers or tongue over the brackets, the ceramic just feel smoother.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

ingyandbert

#7 Post by ingyandbert »

I've got metal Damons on top and bottom and I find they're actually really comfortable. I haven't had much trouble with rubbing since the first few days.

chrisd

#8 Post by chrisd »

i think a lot has been made of differences between metal and ceramic. i have the upper ceramic lower metal combo, and have really not noticed any difference in the way they feel. one does not seem any sharper than the other.
they are braces, and they stick out from our teeth, i dont think that a millimeter in size here or there will make much difference in comfort one way or the other
just my 2 cents
chris :D
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

Metal Mouth Guy

#9 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

Eleni wrote:
Metal Mouth Guy wrote:I've got metal top and bottom, and the bottom is always "scratchier". It's kind of a "Duh!" As Meryaten said, "which side moves"? Sand paper won't bother you if you don't move.
So MMG, when you talk only your bottom lip moves? Huh, neat trick. :twisted:
No, only my bottom jaw moves. Double Duh! :lol: :twisted:

But seriously, having watched myself in the mirror while talking (curiousity based research), my upper lip doesn't move much at all. I wondered if I was subconciously hiding the brackets. But old movies pretty much confirmed I've always done it that way. Bottom brackets show up a lot when I talk. Weird.
Lemme rephrase then, when my lips are immobile and closed, I feel the bottom braces more. Even when I rub my fingers or tongue over the brackets, the ceramic just feel smoother.
Me too. But then my ortho has created this very nice underbite for me in preparation for bone breaking. So I expect to feel the lowers more.

Not having both kinds, I can't comment on which is smoother. Having seen both sitting on the bench, the metal brackets I have are physically smaller than the ceramics I could have had.

But a rock in my shoe still annoys the heck out of me no matter what size it is.

MMG

gypsydoodlebug

#10 Post by gypsydoodlebug »

I have the System R brackets on the bottom, with ceramic on top. I HATE the ceramic ones. The corners are very sharp, and the fact that I have to have ligs (now wire ties, because I kept staining them so bad) makes me wish I'd gotten the system R on the top, too. They're SOOO comfortable...half the time I don't even realize they're there. But the ceramic ones just feel HUGE. Just my 2 cents, though. I don't know how the Damons compare.
Braced January 12, 2006:
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers
24-30 mos.

fins

#11 Post by fins »

I think the ceramics might be a bit sharper than metal but I have not had any real problems with either ceramic or metal. The ceramics do feel sharper when I run my finger over them BUT there are also hooks on some so that might be the difference.

jcdamon3

#12 Post by jcdamon3 »

My ortho says he will be repositioning my brackets to straighten some of my teeth. He said they can't put the brackets on perfectly the first time. He said they will be doing xrays and respositioning. I think it depends on your teeth. My front teeth needed to be tipped forward as well as sideways. (but not rotated)

Hope this makes sense.