My fear... do you share it?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brooke

My fear... do you share it?

#1 Post by Brooke »

I have had my braces since October of 2004. I was informed by the ortho that I am getting them off either in March or April. And I am soo nervous. I know that when you think of getting your braces off it should be exciting and all, but I am scared that my teeth will relapse and I'll be crushed. Braces are expensive and I can't afford to do this again. My ortho has been stablizing my teeth now since january. So, I am confident that my ortho is being 100% sure, but I can't help worrying that my bite will relapse, or teeth will go crooked again. I always thought that i would enjoy the end of my treatment and be super glad that these things were coming off, but i find that i am having a really hard time seperating from them. I mean while they are on, i feel like they are a security blanket, holding my teeth in a perfect place. Now that they will be coming off, thats it... my only shot to make them right. I love how they look now, if they relapse, what will i do?? Anyone else feel this way???
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

I've definately felt that way...I'm close to getting them off as well and I've definately got my worries, but I think if you wear your retainers you should be fine. It's like cold feet or something right before you get them off, all these what-if's run through your mind but just see it through, I think in the end everything will be fine and you'll find that you were worrying for nothing.

By the way, I loved your signature quote, usually the longer roads lead to the more rewarding endings That completely made my day, it's seems like it's the story of my life...
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

chrisd

#3 Post by chrisd »

i dont think that is an unusual feeling. i am probably not the best person to address this. after my first round with braces i never had a lower retainer and i stopped wearing that upper after two years or so. my teeth stayed reasonably straight but i did have a bit of a relapse. the moral of the stroy i guess is that retainers are agood thing , and oh yeah WEAR them :)

good luck i am sure you will do fine
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

KJM

#4 Post by KJM »

Actually I can totally relate. I even feel nervous when they take the ligs off and I am sitting waiting for the ortho to come check my teeth. If she is busy or takes a few minutes I swear that my teeth are going back to their original position. I have to tell myself to relax.
I can see when my time is up that I will feel the same way.
I do know that from my sons experience, if you wear your retainer as directed they will be fine. :)
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

ingyandbert

#5 Post by ingyandbert »

Heck no! Get 'em off me, lol! Seriously, trust your ortho. He/she will tell you what you need to do to maintain your alignment. Just wear your retainer or whatever your ortho recommends.

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

As long as you wear your retainer, you will be fine. Your ortho knows what he is doing. Don't stress too much ;)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

littleshaddies

#7 Post by littleshaddies »

How we panic eh?
I had a lig that came off the second day of wearing braces. I called and said it is emergency. I don't want to come tomorrow, I want this sorted now! Then a bracket came off not long ago, emergency!!! Must be done today as I don't want my teeth moving any other way than they should.
They are busy? I don't even want to hear, private-priority. Let the NHS kids wait. :lol:
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

MCC

#8 Post by MCC »

I wouldn't worry too much about it either. There are a lot of people I know who had braces and their teeth shifted because they didnt' wear the retainer. I share the same fear but as long as you wear your retainer you should be fine.

Brooke

#9 Post by Brooke »

By the way, I loved your signature quote, usually the longer roads lead to the more rewarding endings That completely made my day, it's seems like it's the story of my life...

Thanks... I thought that quote would be appropriate for this site. I think we all took the longer road to benefit ourselves. I remember my dentist talking about veneers because it was easier then years of braces, but i look back now and i am so glad i didnt shave down and ruin my natural teeth. I totally agree that quote can really relate to everyone. We all deal with longer roads and its true that short cuts are never worth while. Glad I could make your day. :D
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

mtbrncofn

#10 Post by mtbrncofn »

I definitely share the same fear. I too, couldn't afford to do it again and I read some of these horror stories on the board about people being rebraced because of a relapse and it makes me nervous.

I intend to be very faithful for the rest of my life with the retainer, so I am hoping that will be enough for me!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.