Question: Should/Do you put wax on the spring?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tunkabean

Question: Should/Do you put wax on the spring?

#1 Post by Tunkabean »

I went for my 1st adjustment today after getting braces just a week ago. The dentist put in a spring over my canine.

Question: Can/Should I wax the spring? Or will that stick between the coils and prevent the spring action from working properly?

Any thoughts on this?

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi Tunkabean,

The spring is trying to move out so I don't think anything stuck in between will hurt. I had a spring and was lucky enough to not have it hurt my mouth. It was probably because mine was on the bottom though. Good luck!

Kell

#3 Post by Kell »

I have 3 springs on my lower teeth. I put wax on two of them. When I had the braces put on the assistant gave me tons of extra wax and said that I would need it because I have so many springs. I took that to mean that it was fine to put wax on them. I put mine just along the bottom edge of the spring.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Tunkabean

#4 Post by Tunkabean »

ah yes - the springs move outwards.... that makes sense! :idea: lol
Thanks for that.

I guess I'll be waxing away soon enough. Thanks guys :D