Kids didn't think I was a geek!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brandyleigh35

Kids didn't think I was a geek!

#1 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Ok...I work as an elementary school counselor. I'm always talking to the kids and after the impromptu bracing yesterday I was a little worried about how the kids would take it.

I had to laugh. I can't tell you how many of the kids today commented on my getting braces, and how cool it was! Never did I imagine that they would think it was cool! :P

Today is day two with my braces. They are feeling much better and less pokey, and I can tell my mouth is adjusting to the new intrusion(s). I'm still not totally loving them, but I can definitely live with them and that is all I had hoped for....Plus I have all this new found coolness now....who would've thunk it! :lol:

Brandy

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

Yep, you are cool for deciding to get braced! :lol: Enjoy your coolness!

Leslie
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I'm glad things are getting better for you. :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

David

#4 Post by David »

Of course it's cool ... you're in Alaska and it's winter ... makes it even cooler :lol: :lol:

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Silly me....why didn't I think of that? Now I have one more thing to worry about in the winter...freezing my lips off! LOL...

Brandy

Michal

#6 Post by Michal »

Brandy, welcome to the cool side! By the way, where in Alaska are you from? I was in Fairbanks for 3 years. I loved it. I'm still a resident. I was stationed at Eielson and I love the interior so much. I wish I were there.

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

belmikry

#7 Post by belmikry »

That's awesome! I work part time at a Barnes and Noble cafe and was really worried my regulars plus other customers would stare and make me feel uncomfortable [not to mention think I'm too young to work there!] but one day I had a little girl who just got her braces on, and her mom took her for a vanilla bean frappucino to help the swelling, and when I smiled my shiny metal's at her, she went from grimacing to lighting up, and smile a full tooth grin for me- it felt great :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

Brandyleigh35

#8 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I'm sure it is one of those things where we are much more aware of it then others are. I did have a couple of kids look at me and say "something is different " but they couldn't really figure out what it was. LOL...

The rest just said "oh you got braces! Thats so cool!" I thought it was pretty hilarious.....I certainly don't think these things are too cool, especially now that they are aggravating me more than anything else. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brandy

missing_tooth

#9 Post by missing_tooth »

I think braces being a "nerdy" or "geek" is a thing of the past. I believe braces have gotten much smaller, and style with color ligs. I don't know if it's just me but it seems they use head gear less and less often. I can't recal the last time I saw someone in headgear. ( No offense to those in headgear, my hats off to you for being so brave. )

FYI, being a geek is now considered cool.

- Missing Tooth -

krennen

#10 Post by krennen »

As someone who works in a large high school I was wondering what students would say. I haven't had too many comments and it's mostly--Oh, you have braces. I did have one student say, "Don't you feel like a kid.?" I answered in my most nonchalant tone, "NO, a lot of adults have braces and my teeth will be nice when they are off!" I acted like it was no big deal. Of course it seems like a big deal to me! I'm old enough to be their parent and most of them are already out of braces.

Raspberry

#11 Post by Raspberry »

I work full time at a Video store, and most of my customers are regulars, who have come to know me pretty well. I can tell that most of them look at me with that "something is different" look, and they probably do notice it, but most don't say anything. Which is fine with me!

Before I got braces, it seemed like every other person I saw had braces on. Now I think they've all gone into hiding... :lol: