Newbie question about tooth soreness

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brandyleigh35

Newbie question about tooth soreness

#1 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Ok..all you who have been in braces more than one day. I have a question about soreness.

Since this whole braces journey is new to me...is it the norm for the tooth pain to continually shift from tooth to tooth? Started out that my front teeth on top and bottom were pretty tender today, then it kind of subsided a bit, now I have one tooth (between my canine and front) that is really aching a lot. I have literally been taking 3 advil every 4 hours, and I swear as soon as the 4 hours is up, I can tell without even looking at the time because my teeth start throbbing again. Is this how its always going to be when they make adjustments? Just wondering......I hate taking so much medicine (I'm one of those people that doesn't take anything) but it is very uncomfortable if I don't.

Brandy

Traffic

#2 Post by Traffic »

Yes. It's totally normal.

Brandyleigh35

#3 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Thanks Lucy, and Traffic.

Lucy that is pretty strange about your canines and lower teeth. Interesting how that nerve stuff works huh?. Something that is really suprising to me is that I think my teeth are already moving. I notice when I close my mouth now that my lower canine is hitting my upper. I have to slide over to they don't bang when I chew, and in order for my molars to be able to touch.

How do y'all eat when your teeth are all messed up like this? I find that everytime I chew I have to be super careful and cautious, otherwise I chomp my cheek, things are just not fitting together like they used to!

Brandy
Last edited by Brandyleigh35 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dena

#4 Post by dena »

totally normal. i still can't bit into anything because my front teeth are so sore.

between extractions and the braces, i doped up a lot the first week or so. try to alternate between advil and tylenol (or another non-ibuprofen pain killer) to reduce the overdose affect. i would take two advil, wait 4-6 then take 2 tylenol. that way, i was never in danger of going over the daily limit and i was keeping the ingredients of each at a lower daily amount.

the pain does go away...or at least it subsides. good luck!

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Thanks Dena,
I will switch with tylenol, and see how that works.

Brandy

Michal

#6 Post by Michal »

At first, I was eating nothing but soup and really, really soft stuff like steamed veggies. But know, I can eat just about anything within reason. You'll notice that one day nothing matches up in your mouth then one day things will line up enough that you can eat. You'll figure it out or at least your mouth will. :D

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

littleshaddies

#7 Post by littleshaddies »

The pain in my teeth shifts too. Some days one hurts like it's being hit, then settles, then another one, or few in the same time.
Appart from the general painkillers that you can take as combination of paracetamol and iboprofen there are still painkillers you can take that are already combination of two painkillers. Ask in a farmacy for stronger painkiller. In the UK I found strong painkiller that is available over the counter called Paramol. It deffinately is stronger than Iboprofen, it does make you feel sleepy tho.
Also what you can do for the pain is use some oil of clove on the gum around the tooth to numb the area. That helps big time for me but it does taste bad.
Anyway, I found the longer it goes on the shorter the spells of pain. Hope it gets better for you soon. :-1
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]