New and Nervous!.......

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WiredNana

New and Nervous!.......

#1 Post by WiredNana »

Found this site after finally making the appointment for a consult with a Ortho. After the x-rays and impressions....I got the news this would be "do-able".... but then the Bad news.......
Need a crown to be removed and replaced with a temporary....and 4 tissue grafts(soft and subepithelial) done along with #23 tooth extracted tomarrow........Oh!.... and on my way to get THAT great news from the Periodontist this morning, I broke the middle toe on my left foot by slamming it into the bed-post waking-up! (Stopped at the clinic on my way home to confirm with an x-ray.)

I'm 50 years old/young....not to sure about all this....but have read many posts to know I,m not alone......just scared.....tomarrow is my "point-of-No-return" and then I get the spacers on next Tuesday and then the following Tuesday, upper and lower braces.......This is just soooo overwhelming!.....Thanks for letting me vent.......I need to go put my foot up for awhile.............

jennandtonic

#2 Post by jennandtonic »

Wow, it is happening very quickly for you, I am not surprised you are a little overwhelmed.

I can't tell you 'don't be nervous' because I just went through it myself and you can't help being nervous, but after you have the braces on you will be thinking 'now what did I have to be nervous about?'

Welcome to the site!

Brandyleigh35

#3 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hey WiredNana
I'm 41 and just got my braces on Monday. I have a long journey also. I will be having SARPE (surgically assisted palate expansion) where they will fit me with an expander I have to turn daily on March 3rd. They are also going to extract an upper wisdom tooth and a lower molar at the same time. I will wear the expansion appliance for approximately 4-5 months and my braces for a year, then I'm scheduled for lower jaw surgery in May of 2007 (provided things go as planned.) After that is done I will have a few months more in braces to finish things out, and then go in for an implant to replace the lower molar they removed.

So.....I can totally relate to your trepedation! Read the posts on this board. They will help you understand what is going on and what to expect. It has helped me a lot, and virtually reduced my fear to almost nothing. I know it will all be worth it in the end, and that all the discomfort will be worth it for the end results.

BTW....getting the braces on is really not that bad. Actually it was a piece of cake, it is getting used to them that is a bit difficult. You will have sore teeth and your mouth will be sore for awhile too. I'm on my second day though and it is getting a little bit better everyday. You can do it!

Brandy

missing_tooth

#4 Post by missing_tooth »

It is all very over whelming and a bit scary. I think most all of us are. I'd like add, Don't Stress! Yes, it's easier said than done. But as someone who got little sleep the night before and had wired dreams, I can say it was really a cake walk. 10x easier than any root canal. I'd venture to bet stubbing your tow is worse than getting your braces.

Sit back, relax, try to get your mind off of it.

- Missing Tooth -

oklanole

#5 Post by oklanole »

missing_tooth wrote:It is all very over whelming and a bit scary. I think most all of us are. I'd like add, Don't Stress! Yes, it's easier said than done. But as someone who got little sleep the night before and had wired dreams, I can say it was really a cake walk. 10x easier than any root canal. I'd venture to bet stubbing your tow is worse than getting your braces.

Sit back, relax, try to get your mind off of it.

- Missing Tooth -
I had the worse dream the night before my braces were put on. I needed 4 extractions on the same day that I got braces. Well, the night before I dreamed that I had the four extractions without any anesthesia.

oklanole

#6 Post by oklanole »

Oops!! Double post!

WiredNana

#7 Post by WiredNana »

Thanks for all the supporting posts.......had the extraction this morning and I feel like such the BABY for getting all upset about this!!!!......I never felt a THING!!!!....all of a sudden he said "You're done"!......that was IT!...

Numbness is wearing off...and it's not uncomfortable....I can now check-off this procedure from my long list!......

BTW- I think alot of people with dental issues have had those 'tooth-dreams'.....I have had many over the years...wonder if they will continue...

jcdamon3

#8 Post by jcdamon3 »

WiredNana,

My sympathies on the broken toe! That is the most painful thing to endure. I broke mine once and I just cried and cried. I slammed my thumb in the car door once and that was comparable.

Yeah, an extraction should be a cake walk after that!

Hope your toe feels better soon. I had to wear birkenstocks for a long while after that, so I recommend them if you can't wear regular shoes. I never had mine x-rayed because the doctor said he would do the same thing to it if he knew it was broken or if he knew it wasn't broken, so I thought, why bother? He buddy wrapped it with the toe next to it. Mine was my smallest toe and I slammed it into the leg of the couch.

Good luck on your braces journey!