BRACED TODAY!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snowbunny

BRACED TODAY!

#1 Post by snowbunny »

I had my appointment at 1.4pm this afternoon. Had to wait about ten minutes so getting more and more nervous while I'm waiting. Then I'm in the chair and it's all happening! Well, it went surprisingly smoothly. I was expecting all sorts of horrors, lip retractors, pain, yukky tasting glue. It was all over in half an hour. He was brilliant. When I saw myself in the mirror, I thought, well, that's not too bad, I can live with that for a year.
I'm braced upper only. In metal. My daughter thinks I look 'minging' but there you go. That's teenagers for you!
So far no pain but ortho says the weekend will be when the pain hits.
Rubbing slightly on my gums but I've got wax (not used yet). Brackets don't seem too big which was my main concern!
Now making a mushy vegetable dhal so hopefully I'll be able to eat later.

This if the first day of the rest of my teeths life! Woohoo!

missing_tooth

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

I keep telling people it's not that bad :) Congrads, welcome to the world of braces.

Say what does the word, "minging" mean anyway?

** Edit **

Did some searching, minging is not a good term. Generally used to describe vile, disgusting, and ugly.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... efid=64806

Perhaps someone is just jealous? :)

- Missing Tooth -

seeminglyshy

#3 Post by seeminglyshy »

Congrats Snow!

Awesome step; glad it went smoothly.

Minging eh?? These youngsters and their everchanging slang! :lol:
Braced: 9/23/05

Having 4 wisdom teeth extracted: 2/17/06 *ouchie*

Ceramic on top, metal below.

Duration: 2 years

OneTime

#4 Post by OneTime »

Congrat on your first step.

Yes, the glue does taste nasty. More like rotten sour candy.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

LizzyG

#5 Post by LizzyG »

Congratulations! I got my braces today too, upper and lower Damon 3's. I've just managed to eat a takeaway curry, although half of it got stuck in my braces :? but nevermind!

Front teeth are a tiny bit tender now, but not too bad. tomorrow will be different though I think.....

They built up my molars too, which is a bit weird only having two teeth that meet to chew with. But I'm sure I will get used to it!!!

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

Aurelia

#6 Post by Aurelia »

hahaha :lol: had to laugh....'minging' you hear that everywhere in the UK now, (made even more popular by a very funny tv comedy called 'Little Britain') even I am guilty of using it - it means gross.

Congrats Snowbunny on the 1st leg of your journey. I too found the experience relatively painless and easy and cant belive I stressed so much over it! I think I'm very lucky too as I never got to taste the yucky glue everyone talks about :?

Good luck :D
All good things come to those that wait

Brandyleigh35

#7 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hi Snowbunny!
Congrats on your new braces. I got mine Monday and had a couple of pretty sore days (advil and tylenol every 4 hours) but today is day four and things are going great. My mouth has adjusted to the sharp edges and I'm now able to talk with no problems. Also eating has gotten a lot easier too. It takes a bit more coordination, and time, but hasn't really altered my life too much.

So....welcome to the club, and know that each day is going to continually get better and better!

A piece of advice. As soon as you start feeling irritation in a spot, put some wax on it and cover it up. Don't wait til you have worn a hole in it. I have done this for 3 days, leaving it on for a few hours then taking it off again till it gets irritated again, but not really making any serious sores. the first two days I gargled 3 times a day with salt water. Today my mouth is fine, the only pokey parts are my archwire ends that I just cover. I never got any holes or really bad shredding in my lips at all. They adjusted very quickly.

Brandy

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

Congrats on getting the braces. Let us know how it goes. :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

snowbunny

New braces and diet and stuff!

#9 Post by snowbunny »

The curry went down very well thank you Karen. Just made a cheese omelette for breakfast. Don't normally eat eggs but couldn't think what else to have! Normally have this I AM A SPAMMER REPORT ME TO THE ADMIN IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!! Four Nut crunchy cereal but it's think that's off the menu for now..
Teeth are a bit sensitive but nothing I can't cope with...case of having to really, isn't it!! I've got 9 brackets on in total, I have a crown at the front that ortho hasn't put a bracket on (although may need to later if not lined up with the rest).

Think I may have to make that sponge pud and custard that I've been promising to make the kids for about six months. I think I could manage that.
Enjoy your weekend.
Upper metals on 10th Feb 2006
Estimated treatment time 9-12 months