Anyone have their teeth filed?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Echo

Anyone have their teeth filed?

#1 Post by Echo »

At my last adjustment, I asked the ortho if they could do something about my two top front teeth. One was a tad longer than the other. I thought they might reposition a bracket or something, but they just filed it down which I thought was much better! It looks so good, I wanted them to file off the ridges on my bottom teeth, but they said they would wait and do that when I am done with my treatment.
[/url]

Echo

#2 Post by Echo »

Actually, the edge did feel a little sharp, so I told them and they smoothed it out. It doesn't feel any different now than it did before, and it's great to have both teeth the same length! No one else probably noticed it, but you know how you notice things that others don't!
[/url]

mtbrncofn

#3 Post by mtbrncofn »

I had that same thing. I had it done about 4 months ago. He said he'd have more to do at the end when he got everything where he wanted it.

Did you not think that smell was just heinous? What an awful smell!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Chocoholic

#4 Post by Chocoholic »

Yup I've had this done to both my top and bottom teeth, they were a jagged on the edges and slightly odd lengths, so my ortho got out the 'Black & Decker' and smoothed them all off. Now my teeth look all straight and smooth, it's amazing how it instantly makes you teeth look great I couldn't stop looking at them :D

Echo

#5 Post by Echo »

Yeah, the smell was pretty rank, but worth it! I only had to have a tiny bit taken off one tooth. I have a bottom tooth that is not straight across, so I am looking forward to getting that filed down when I am done with treatment. After getting my top tooth done, I asked if they could do them all! They promised to after I'm done. I still have ridges on alot of my teeth, so I think they will look great when they are smoothed out.
[/url]

snowbunny

#6 Post by snowbunny »

Yuk, I know I'm going to end up having this once mine are straight because of the way in which my front two have worn down.
What is this smell then? Sounds gross!
Upper metals on 10th Feb 2006
Estimated treatment time 9-12 months

mtbrncofn

#7 Post by mtbrncofn »

snowbunny wrote:Yuk, I know I'm going to end up having this once mine are straight because of the way in which my front two have worn down.
What is this smell then? Sounds gross!
I'm not exactly sure how to explain it. It really has got to be one of the worst smells I have ever smelled. I can't even think of anything I've smelled to compare it to. It definitely has a burning hair smell to it though.

IndyBraceFace

#8 Post by IndyBraceFace »

Does it hurt or feel uncomfortable? I hate even having my teeth polished during cleanings, so I might be in trouble.

mtbrncofn

#9 Post by mtbrncofn »

Nope, it doesn't hurt at all. Just an irritating buzz/grind noise/feel. Nothing to worry about!

gracie381

#10 Post by gracie381 »

Yea, I'm wondering if it hurts. I too have one of my front teeth that's a little longer than the other one. I go back tomorrow and was planning to ask them about it. I just had my teeth cleaned for the first time since I got my braces. It wasn't too bad, but there was a couple of sensitive spots when I about jumped out of my seat. What does it feel like?
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

Jesslzz 01

#11 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Wow! I didn't know that was possible. You guys gave me the best news today. I have my front two teeth worn out in a really awkard way, because of my overjet. And now that they are straightening up one of them look longer and pointy than the other. They form like an ugly V shape:

Do you think it can be corrected that way? I will ask my ortho, though I think he will tell me to wait, since I have been in braces only for a month.
I would love to get that corrected soon!

Thanks for the info, Echo!

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

mtbrncofn

#12 Post by mtbrncofn »

Heck yeah they can fix that. I've ground my teeth and have some uneven wear that lead to one front tooth being longer than the other, similar to yours. I said something about it months ago and he ground off a bit right then to help even it out a bit, but said he'd do more when we get it all where it needs to be.

Chocoholic

#13 Post by Chocoholic »

It doesn't hurt at all, just the vibration can be a bit of a weird feeling.

The smell is that of burning hair, or if you've ever been around ahorse when it's being shod (having new shoes) when the farrier places the hot shoe on the hoof and burns it, it's that exact same smell. But the nurse normally holds a little sucker to take the smoke and smell away.

sarahlp

#14 Post by sarahlp »

I had mine filed recently- didnt hurt a bit :lol:

Echo

#15 Post by Echo »

Yes, definitely ask your ortho about it. No one but me probably ever noticed the difference in my front teeth, but it bothered me. When I asked about fixing it, I thought they might reposition a bracket to do it, but this was so much better and easier! Like I said before, when I am done with treatment, I am going to get all of my teeth evened out by filing.
[/url]