Odd ?--anyone's nose hurt right after braces were put on?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Granola

Odd ?--anyone's nose hurt right after braces were put on?

#1 Post by Granola »

This is so weird, but in a matter of hours after my upper brace was put on, the bridge of my nose felt incredibly sore, and the pain radiated down my nose a bit. It even felt swollen right across the bridge, starting the same day. I was wearing goggles that they gave me during the braces installation, but I don't remember them fitting me tightly or bothering me.

My nose is still sore but it is a bit improved since last Wednesday. Did anyone else have this? I am completely at a loss!
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Have you contacted your ortho? I must say that this is the first time I hear this...but your nose, teeth etc are all connected so maybe you are just experiencing a different kind of pain?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

brandee987

#3 Post by brandee987 »

OH YES!!! My nose felt so sore for about 4 days.. I truly felt like my whole sense of smell was off too! Hope it gets better for you!
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

Chr1ssy711

#4 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

i did not have this strange pain, but after reading do you think it was becuase of getting the braces on the ortho may have pressed against your nose with her palm to put the brackets and arch wire on...i cant really think if they push that hard, but i dunno maybe that why. i think it is very strange to think your nose would hurt after braces..but who knows everyone is different...but if it is PAINFUL not just annoying ask your ortho about it... ya never know.
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

Granola

#5 Post by Granola »

Thank you Flora2006, Lucyloop, brandee987, Chr1ssy711!

Lucyloop, ouch for your poor nose at age 6! :shock:

I'm appreciate everyone's input and am glad to hear I'm not the only one. I will definitely ask about it when I go in next week to have my bottoms installed.

The pain was primarily right where the bridge of eyeglasses would rest. It was painful enough that I had to switch to a pair of eyeglasses where the bridge doesn't rest across the nose. It has since improved a lot, though is still a little sore. I don't think that the ortho ever even rested his hands anywhere on my face while installing the braces and wire (he was extremely gentle) so it must be related to my teeth moving. At the time my braces went on, and in the ensuing days, my nose hurt more than my teeth (not what I would have expected :lol: ).
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

chickadee

#6 Post by chickadee »

I get the same pain after I have an adjustment, it's kind of like a sinus headache and pain. It usually goes away between 2 to 4 days --hope your pain gets better. For me if I take a few ibuprophen it seems to help.
Top Ceramic Braces Since 4-9-05