day 7 question/week

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

akabraces

day 7 question/week

#1 Post by akabraces »

Hello beautiful people...

I have a question--
for those of you who just
got braces, or have good memories,
do you remember how you
were exactly a week after getting
your braces?
Here's my concerns:
did you have trouble talking,
smiling, pain, etc.?

thanks for your help!

peace,

*aka

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I didn't see any changes. My front teeth were and still are sensitive but I was never in pain nor am I now. The feel of the braces was still really weird but I was slowly getting better.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

oklanole

#3 Post by oklanole »

I am approaching the week timeline you are at (braced on 02-08-06) and I have no pain, or any trouble talking. I still have not had anything to eat except soup and mashed potatoes, but I am feeling great now.

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

oklanole wrote:I am approaching the week timeline you are at (braced on 02-08-06) and I have no pain, or any trouble talking. I still have not had anything to eat except soup and mashed potatoes, but I am feeling great now.
Try eating some spaghetti or something else that you like - just dice it up in smaller pieces. Sometimes taking that first step is the most difficult. Once you take that first step you will wonder why you waited so long.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi akabraces,

When I had braces several years ago, I was never in pain but I did feel pressure after the brackets and archwire were placed and after adjustments. Certain teeth will be more sensitive for eating so if this happens to you, try to find a place in your mouth that is easier to bite/chew from. I never had any problems with talking.

Keep in mind that we're all different so you may encounter no problems at all and if you do have problems such as pain, take Advil. If the pain persists be sure to call your orthodontist because you should not have ongoing pain, ongoing pressure is fine but not pain.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

oklanole

#6 Post by oklanole »

ssfw wrote:
oklanole wrote:I am approaching the week timeline you are at (braced on 02-08-06) and I have no pain, or any trouble talking. I still have not had anything to eat except soup and mashed potatoes, but I am feeling great now.
Try eating some spaghetti or something else that you like - just dice it up in smaller pieces. Sometimes taking that first step is the most difficult. Once you take that first step you will wonder why you waited so long.

ssfw
Thanks, I will try because I am dying for some real food.

Brandyleigh35

#7 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Today is actually day 7 for me and I"m doing great. I have no real pain to speak of. I can still feel some pressure on my front teeth, but it is certainly no big deal or not anything I need to take anything for. My mouth has healed up nicely and I don't have any more sores either.

I do find that if I talk a lot, or chew a whole bunch that my mouth does still get a bit irritated, but other than that, I'm all good!

Brandy

LizzyG

#8 Post by LizzyG »

I had my braces on last Friday and i'm doing ok. I never had pain as such, just tenderness when I bit down. My molars aren't really sensitive at all now but my front teeth are. I have a couple of sore patches that I'm using wax for, but other than that I am fine, I can talk ok, and I have pretty much eaten normally since the day I got them. But slowly and carefully though!

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

OneTime

#9 Post by OneTime »

First week being brace I was sore. The part that always suck, I couldn't eat. After that it was getting better.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

jcdamon3

#10 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi,

I was waxing my brackets for at least 6-8 weeks after I got my braces. My teeth did not hurt, just the inside of my lips and cheeks from the darn hooks on my molar brackets. Even now after 6 months once in awhile I chew something really tough and I get some little sores. I am really used to it now, but it seems if there is some movement a new part of my mouth has to toughen up.

Raspberry

#11 Post by Raspberry »

KK wrote:I do believe a lot of how you cope with braces (or most things in life) is in your attitude. I'd read many times on here that if you act as if they don't bother you then no one else will be bothered either ... and that is totally true :!:
I've had my braces for exactly a week today, and I think Karen is absolutely right here... when I first got my braces on, I was trying to hide them when I talked, which made is so obvious and made it even harder to talk. I'm a lot more comfortable with them now, and I don't even bother to hide them, and no one seems to notice anymore.

as for the pain question, I'm doing pretty good, I can eat "real food" as long as I cut it up in small pieces and chew it in the back. The only real pain I've had is trying to floss between the tight spots...ouch!

I'll be singing a different tune after my extractions on Thursday :lol:

Granola

#12 Post by Granola »

Today is Day 7 for me, and I'm not having any trouble talking (ask my husband!), eating, or any real pain. I do feel a lot of pressure and my teeth feel "loose." If I press too hard when I brush, it hurts, and I can't bite or chew "normally" any more, but that is because of the changes that have already taken place. It does hurt when I floss between some teeth that have tight contacts.

I am still in the stage of being very careful when chewing because I'm afraid I'll knock a bracket off. I thought I'd have to give up my morning bagel, but I just tear it into small pieces and chew more carefully. I did have an incident with trying to eat chips & guacamole on Sunday and ended up swallowing a sharp piece of chip whole--it hurt going down! :shock: :oops: After that I found myself just sucking the guac off of the chips and not eating the chips. :)

No one has noticed my braces, not even a close friend who I see every two weeks. I think other people tend not to notice braces at all, really, unless we mention them. Good luck!
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Dogbiskit

#13 Post by Dogbiskit »

i'm into my third week of being braced. for the first 3 or 4 days my teeth would hurt on and off but then i did have a tendency to press on them with my tongue and lips. once i made a conscious effort to stop that probing, they stop hurting. still, when i eat harder foods my molars and bicuspids ache - but only while i'm chewing and mostly just on one side. can't wait for the day when it doesn't hurt to eat
remember... it's never that bad as long as you're prepared for it

braced jan 30/06
speed

sydsmom

#14 Post by sydsmom »

I'm almost four weeks in....But I recall my first week *VERY* well. I was in pain, pain, pain for about 6 days because I was being a dork and didn't use wax or saltwater or anything else. I wanted to tough it out, so the result was tons of horrible scrapes and slashes in my cheeks and inner lips. But once I wised up, the sores healed quickly and I was fine. I also had tremendous trouble for a solid week forming the letters "F", "V" and sometimes "B" and "S". And I thought my upper lip would never cover my brackets. But it has!

The random sore spot still shows up here and there, though...
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06