A difference between male and female orthos ...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vanilla

A difference between male and female orthos ...

#1 Post by vanilla »

... I know I'm generalising, but my regular ortho is male (incidentally, I have posted previously that he looks like Jerry Springer). When I asked him about the possibility of taking off my top braces for my wedding day he started going on (and on, an on) about slowing progression, additional fees, blah ... He was away today so I got to see a female ortho and her attitude was "of course you would" and she set up 2 dates bookending my wedding date. She even suggested I shape my peg laterals as well so even the level of my top teeth. I'm not sure if my ortho will be too happy about when he gets back. But I'm happy :D and I just thought I'd share the excitement around! Woohoo!!
Ceramic + metal since 31/03/05

vanilla

#2 Post by vanilla »

* just read over my post and I must've got distracted with my Jerry Springer comment that I ended the first sentence too soon: kinda shows my really short attention span :oops:

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

lol that's great. Let us know what your regular ortho says about the other ortho booking those appointments and all.

I prefer male doctors over women...but that is just from experience. I also find that the younger they are the nicer they are. Both my ortho and dentist are 29, my optometrist is about 27...all three are soooo very nice.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

luxekitty

#4 Post by luxekitty »

Sometimes it takes a woman to understand these things! :wink:
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LizzyG

#5 Post by LizzyG »

Thats great that the female ortho will do that! And typical of a man not to understand :roll:

I'm getting married in July and have just had my braces put on, but I really hated being in that chair for so long having the brackets put on, I don't fancy going through that again?! And also I think my ortho (who is male) would be the same as yours if I asked him to do that.

You've got me thinking now though! Are you getting married on a Saturday? Are you having the braces off on the Friday and back on on the monday?

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

wearetheborg

#6 Post by wearetheborg »

LizzyG wrote:And typical of a man not to understand :roll:
Of course. It takes a crazy person to understand another crazy person :crazy:

LizzyG

#7 Post by LizzyG »

wearetheborg wrote:
LizzyG wrote:And typical of a man not to understand :roll:
Of course. It takes a crazy person to understand another crazy person :crazy:
LOL!!! Cheeky!

noppi

My ortho

#8 Post by noppi »

I went in for my consultation and the treatment coordinator had engaged in small talk with me. I had mentioned that I was new to the area and moved because of my boyfriend. Then she had mentioned it to the dr when he asked if i was from aroudn the area as he was examining my teeth.

later he told me my treatment woudl be 2 years. And then I asked again...2 YEARS?! And he said, yes why? and im like uh...and he said "are you getting married?" :lol: YES! (No date set yet), but he said "not a problem. we can take off the brackets, but not the metal bands cuz no one will see those anyway, and then after your wedding we can put them back on." I was like WOW SWEETNESS! No extra charge too because i paid for all my braces already. They wrote it down in their notes for my file too. So I'll have to ask him about that when the time nears.
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

vanilla

#9 Post by vanilla »

LizzyG - Yep, I'm getting married on a Saturday so they're taking my brackets off the Tuesday before the date and the Tuesday after it. Once they're back on I'm flying off to my honeymoon! :jump:

noppi - it's great that your treatment includes that, I wish mine did. I've paid upfront, too, but I'm still copping the additional fee :roll:

BlueeyedManda

#10 Post by BlueeyedManda »

I perfer woman docs but my ortho is male and he is a great guy. He is in his 40's but he is very supportive of all of his patients. He said he would make it happen so I could walk down the aisle on my wedding day with clear teeth :) I have some time to think about that the big day is in 2007 but I just got my lowers on and so we have alot of work to accomplish yet. Back to the ortho, he is very understanding of what the adults are going through, he too had braces as an adult.

missing_tooth

#11 Post by missing_tooth »

Sometimes it takes a woman to understand these things!
Thats great that the female ortho will do that! And typical of a man not to understand
Wow, just wow. And we wonder why things like prejudices exists. I'm sure we all like being placed in little boxes like sex, age, skin color and other things we can't control at birth.

I'd love to say more, but I don't think I need to.

- Missing Tooth -

missing_tooth

#12 Post by missing_tooth »

Ok, I've had to really refrain from saying some things in my last previous post on this thread. I get real urked when people judge other people. You guys should really give people a chance, and not make such broad generalizations. I'm a guy and I definately do not fit your typical "male mold" I'm not going to share everything about me on this board. I will however tell you, I cared very much about my wedding, and it's imporantance was not unrecognized.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.

Grrrr........

- Missing Tooth -

LizzyG

#13 Post by LizzyG »

I apologise for my flippant comment. I agree with you, we shouldn't judge people or have predjudices. It was supposed to be a little joke, I meant to add a little grinning emoticon after the rolling eyes one but forgot and couldn't go back in and edit it.

BlueeyedManda

#14 Post by BlueeyedManda »

Missing_Tooth has said it perfectly, judging is not right and it is not smart. I give my finace alot of credit, he is very understanding and he is wonderful while I am going through this. He actually pushed me the extra mile to do it. Believe me there are alot of women other there that don't get it either.

vanilla

#15 Post by vanilla »

When I posted this topic I knew I was making a generalisation since I've only seen 2 orthos. The gender delineation was done tongue-in-cheek. When I read the comments that were since made I thought they were done with the same sense of humour. Indeed, if I were at all serious about being gender bias, the post would have been a lot more sombre ... or whiny. I might've even ditched the reference that the dude looks like Springer. I guess, that kind of humour doesn't translate well through posts and it's offended people. I'm gonna have to be careful next time ...

I was just happy that I got an ortho that understood my concerns about the wedding since my original ortho did not.