Stains around glue

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kirst1583

Stains around glue

#1 Post by kirst1583 »

I have some brown/black staining (I know this probably doesn't sound too good already but i'll continue) around the glue on my brackets. It isn't noticeable as it is mainly where the hooks for my elastics are. I was worried at 1st, thinking it was the start of a cavity but the dentist told me what it was.
I just wondered if anyone knew how I could get rid of these stains?
I've been living with them for ages and it really annoys me!

dena

#2 Post by dena »

i have tons and tons of excess glue on my teeth and I can tell it's staining. I read a past here awhile back where someone said their dentist was able to clean it off, so i've just been waiting until my dentist's appointment in a few weeks. I've tried gentry scraping it off, which kind of works, but am just brushing now. I actually freaked out two days ago because it feels like i have a huge crack in one of my lower teeth, but i *think* it's actually just a cement ridge that is now feel-able because of my teeth moving. The cement is a real pain.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

dena wrote:i have tons and tons of excess glue on my teeth and I can tell it's staining. I read a past here awhile back where someone said their dentist was able to clean it off, so i've just been waiting until my dentist's appointment in a few weeks. I've tried gentry scraping it off, which kind of works, but am just brushing now. I actually freaked out two days ago because it feels like i have a huge crack in one of my lower teeth, but i *think* it's actually just a cement ridge that is now feel-able because of my teeth moving. The cement is a real pain.
Same for me. Let me know if your dentist will do something. I have my second adjustment before my dentist appointment so I think I will just ask my ortho about it...I would have thought that they would take off the excess glue though...I didn't think that we would have to ask them to please take it off.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

dena

#4 Post by dena »

Flora--I go for my cleaning and then 2nd adjustment a few days later. But I will definitely report back, too. I think my ortho didn't notice it because my brushing has pulled most of the obvious stuff off the front teeth, but my bottom teeth are pretty little so the bracket takes up most of the tooth and the excess cement is hard to see (I can't actually see it, but I feel some weird ridge and can only assume it's that.) Let us know when you go if you hear anything.

brace yourself

#5 Post by brace yourself »

I have some excess cement which appears discolored as well. The ortho told me it acts as a protectant or sealant around the bracket to minimize decay or decalcification. Also was told it can retain fluoride and slowly release it back to the tooth. So it looks like their might be some benefit to the otherwise unaesthetic cement teeth.

dena

#6 Post by dena »

brace yourself--that's interesting. my ortho said that the cement on the molar bands is flouride release, too, but it makes sense that the cement on the brackets sort of seals off the area. I don't know what others are talking about but I have a lot of cement on my teeth...like some teeth, especially the little ones, are almost covered in the cement. i only noticed it when it started to chip away on the surface.

Eleni

#7 Post by Eleni »

I have brushed with everything - different brands of toothpaste, baking powder, different shaped brushes and NOTHING has gotten the stained glue to lighten up. So if anyone figures it out, please post!
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

kirst1583

#8 Post by kirst1583 »

Thanks everyone for the replies.
For me I don't think that it's excess cement/glue. The staining is just along the edge of the glue. I was told not to try and scrub it though as I could damage the tooth. The dentist didn't offer any suggestions other than to leave it and when my braces are removed then it will be too.

Eleni - you sound exactly like me! Where are your stains? Mine on my top teeth are only where the elastic hooks are. I have a couple on the bottom also but they don't bother me too much.

dena

#9 Post by dena »

kirst1583--did your ortho explain how it got like that? is it just food staining the edges of the glue or is the stain actually on your teeth.

I'm glad you posted this because this staining glue has been bugging me for weeks!

kirst1583

#10 Post by kirst1583 »

Dena - No. I don't think the ortho has mentioned it at all. I went to the dentist though when I first noticed it a long time ago and he said it was nothing to worry about.

It looks to me as though it is just the glue which has stained, not my actual tooth... but because it's behind the hooks it is hard to be sure!