Help correct tongue thrust

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ryleigh

Help correct tongue thrust

#1 Post by Ryleigh »

I went yesterday for my second ortho appointment since my jaw surgery and my bite had opened up a lot due to my tongue thrust. My ortho told me that I have to swallow with my tongue on the roof of my mouth and said that it will be hard because I've always swallowed with my tongue against my top front teeth but I have to be aware and try to correct it. Does anyone have any tips? I'm hoping that I don't have to be sent to a speech pathologist after I'm healed from my surgery.

Thanks so much!!

Clo

#2 Post by Clo »

Hi,

I recently got a new ortho. I wrote about it in another thread.
Anyway, he immediately saw I am a tongue thruster too. I need to see
a speech pathologist, he said. I am now trying to correct it myself for
over a year, seemingly without success. So I will have no choice than
going I think. Hard to believe, that after 42 years, I again have to learn
to speak and swallow. They said I look a lot younger now being in braces,
but going back to almost square one of life ...

Good luck !
Will you keep us informed how you are doing ?

chinadoll

Tongue thrust too

#3 Post by chinadoll »

Hi there,

Ryleigh, I have a tongue thrust too and I just got braces a month ago. I have been consciously trying to keep my tongue at the roof of my mouth and finally, after a few weeks, I am beginning to rest it there more naturally without having to think about it. Before, when I swallowed, my tongue would push right through my open bite. (I don't have a jaw problem, actually--I'm Class 1--so most likely my open bite was caused by a tongue thrust!)

You can ask your ortho about a tongue crib. Mine said he didn't think that was necessary for me--it depends on how much pressure your tongue is actually putting on your teeth. A speech pathologist friend of mine says there are exercises you can do, as well.

Good luck!
Class II Malocclusion (Anterior Open Bite & Mild Crowding)
6 ceramic uppers, the rest metal