palate expander/withdraw

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetgurl

palate expander/withdraw

#1 Post by sweetgurl »

how does upper palate expander feel like. It stuck in the upper roof of the mouth and turn a key. How does it work and feell like. I am so scared of thinking about having that in my mouth.

Another question i have is what are the consequences if a patient with braces withdrawn from her doctor and go to another one. How much do you pay extra. How does it work. Thank you for replying. :o

Will

#2 Post by Will »

Well I have both top and both expanders, so i'll tell you what both feel like:

Top: Feels kind of tight against the roof of my mouth. Sometimes it's really squeezes the roof of my mouth to the point it's painful to eat... A lot of food gets stuck up there also... but most of the time, it's not that painful. It just feels weird in my mouth since it's protruding.

Bottom: There's a metal bar on the bottom expander which is inconvenient since my tongue can't touch the bottom of my mouth. Also, the bottom expander makes it hard to speak correctly (i have a bit of a lisp) and have to repeat a lot of the words i say to people. Overall, food also gets stuck there and it's kind of annoying since your tongue always rubs against it.

Hope this helped.
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

airxjordan24

#3 Post by airxjordan24 »

i have the top expander. When you turn the key, you'll feel light pressure. You wont notice the pressure after a few hours. Your teeth may get a little sore, but nothing too painful. The only thing that sucks, is that it's hard to talk with this thing in your mouth. I'm going on day 4 of having my expander in, and i'm still having trouble speaking cleary :( . Oh, and food tend to get stuck in between the expander and the roof of your mouth.. its very very annoying.
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers