I am freaking out!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceme

I am freaking out!!!!

#1 Post by braceme »

this summer i am gonna get braces....my orthodntic suggest me to wear braces. the treatement is a year and cost 2000USD
my teeth looks fine but the button look a little bit crowded...and now i am freaking out...
i am 20 already..i am a college student...i have my social life....with braces its hard to make friends especially opposite sex friends like gf.....dont tell me to get invisible braces or cermic because i really dont have the money
please give me some suggestion
and tell me how u adjust your feeling thanks~~

drazda

#2 Post by drazda »

You'll be fine. I'm 21 and with braces. If a girl doesn't want you because of your braces, then she isn't worth dating anyway. Good luck!
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Destor

#3 Post by Destor »

Go for it man, it's only a year of treatment and 2grand, alot of people need to go through treatment for much longer, 2 years or more! Not to mention pay higher prices, your teeth may look fine but i'm betting there are smaller issues with your bite and such, less noticeable stuff.

It isn't harder at all to make friends, girls or guys, with braces. Unless you let it affect your personality, otherwise chances are people won't care. As for a girlfriend, at least the braces show you're putting effort into fixing your teeth, like drazda said too if she doesn't want you because of braces, she isn't worth your time.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

oklanole

#4 Post by oklanole »

The first thing my wife said when I got braces was that she wanted to make out because I looke so cute in braces. :oops: I say to you go for it, it worked out well for me.

eoberhauser

#5 Post by eoberhauser »

Just a bit of a girl's perspective here. No girl that you are going to want to date will shun you because of braces. I honestly don't know where this "braces stigma" has come from! Number one, you are working to improve yourself - noone makes fun of you for going to the gym and pumping iron! Do yourself a favor and get the braces. You'll find that it may give you even more attention than without. You only live this life once, make sure you're happy first, then worry about girls. GL!!

nimo

#6 Post by nimo »

I'm 25 and getting braces day after tomorrow. I know that personally I don't care what a person's teeth in braces look like. It would never have kept me from dating anyone. I also never cared about my friends having braces. It's the sort of thing where if they had had them and needed some self-esteem bolstering because of it, I would gladly let them know they don't look stupid, and that would have been the truth. If people are worth anything they really aren't going to care how you look. I know that's really mom-ish of me to say, but it's true.
You're taking care of your teeth, and that's what's important for you.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

braceme

#7 Post by braceme »

thanks for the tip i am now ready to get my braces.....
please give me more support
i will update some pictures when i get my braces~

Avarik

#8 Post by Avarik »

No worries about the opposite sex! It's just fine to keep them on, and nobody really cares except the person in braces. My girlfriend has been the same to me since I got them on.

More then anything, there have been even more people talking to me about themselves getting braces, and asking me questions about it.

KJM

#9 Post by KJM »

If it is any consolation, my husband had braces when we first met ( had them off at our wedding, then didnt wear retainer so back on for a few more years...) and I thought he was very attractive with them! The second time he had them he was in his 20's.

I think that any girl/guy that would refuse to date you b/c you had braces isnt someone that you want to be with anyway.

If ( and this is a BIG IF) it happens that your social life declines, just think of the great grades you'll be getting -and great teeth to go with it. :)
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

ingyandbert

#10 Post by ingyandbert »

If someone is that shallow, you wouldn't want to be around them anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

missing_tooth

#11 Post by missing_tooth »

I'd like to chime in, that if you can get braces for 2k, your probably doing better than most of us. I wouldn't worry about what a potiential gf might think. Had you condsidered she might find them cute?

If you need braces I really suggesting doing it. Better now than later. You could be in my shoes and job hunting and going to interviews with braces on. I wouldn't worry about the social aspect. I have yet to meet one person who thought of less of someone for bettering themselves.

- Missing Tooth -

belmikry

#12 Post by belmikry »

I think guys with braces are very cute- besides: most girls would say that braces are way better than crooked teeth= like they said, girls have a thing for guys willing to better themselves, and I promise you'll feel even more confident once you have them on, I smile more now with braces than I did without them o_o... it's all of that improvement you'll see- and besides, its a great conversation starter- especially since a vast majority of people have had braces before, so they don't laugh/repel, they talk about their own stories, and give you alot of advice- and hey, they can probably teach you a few things like kissing in braces if you ask ;)

what kind of braces are you getting? :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

mtbrncofn

#13 Post by mtbrncofn »

eoberhauser wrote:Just a bit of a girl's perspective here. No girl that you are going to want to date will shun you because of braces. I honestly don't know where this "braces stigma" has come from! Number one, you are working to improve yourself - noone makes fun of you for going to the gym and pumping iron! Do yourself a favor and get the braces. You'll find that it may give you even more attention than without. You only live this life once, make sure you're happy first, then worry about girls. GL!!
Fabulous post! :thumbsup:
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.