question about spacers...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joygoss

question about spacers...

#1 Post by joygoss »

My spacers will be on for 19 days. that seems long. How long has everyone else worn them?

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

Hi joygoss! I had spacers for 7 days.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

nimo

#3 Post by nimo »

Mine will have been on 11 days. I get my braces on Friday. I've heard as long as a month.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

joygoss

#4 Post by joygoss »

Anyone else have the overwhelming urge to rip them out?

Dark_angel

#5 Post by Dark_angel »

Spacers are pushing your teeth appart and will cause you pain, especially when biting down. However like most pain associated with braces it will settle down in a few days and you will probably forget that their there.

I had mine in for 7 days and i really wanted to take them out and then put them back in without my ortho knowing but my bf pinned me down to stop me :roll:

IndyBraceFace

#6 Post by IndyBraceFace »

5 days

joygoss

#7 Post by joygoss »

That's hilarious, Dark Angel! I've had them in for a week already, but the sorness has not gone away. The ortho said just bite the bullet and eat hard food. The more you do, the more sorness you'll work out. I think he's secretly laughing at me! Bananas are my best friends right now - oh, and mashed potatoes, too!

I don't remember child birth being this unbearable (Of course, the ortho can't give epidurals, either!) I'm actually looking forward to braces just so I can't get these *bleep bleep bleep bleeps* out of my mouth!

P.S. - I'm usually very pleasant, I promise!

OneTime

#8 Post by OneTime »

I had spacers on for 14 days. Best 14 days ever of dieting. :roll:

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

airxjordan24

#9 Post by airxjordan24 »

they are usually on for about 2 weeks. they are used to make space for the molar bands.

take some advil prior to going in. goodluck :D
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

joygoss

#10 Post by joygoss »

What the heck are molar bands? I know I'm getting a distal jet put on the 27th. Is that the same thing? Am I not asking enough questions when I go in? Because I'm not even sure how long I have to wear the distal jet before I get the braces put on.

Thanks, everyone! (what a great site!)

lesdents

#11 Post by lesdents »

I wore them for almost three weeks! Ouch!

I eventually got used to them, and then, despite the fact that my teeth were VERY crowded and tight, they made so much space that they kept falling out!!

I had a "lingual holding arch" with molar bands in there (on the bottom) where the spacers had made the space. I just had it taken out so I can get another extraction, and my ortho put spacers back in to keep the space. AND IT IS REALLY PAINFUL AGAIN!!

Those tiny little devils are REALLY awful, aren't they?

I found that drinking warm mint tea eased the pain - besides being yummy and soothing!

Don't worry, it'll get better. Your teeth will be PERFECT someday, remember that!!!

Leslie022

#12 Post by Leslie022 »

I had to keep mine in for 7 days and yes, I wanted to pull them out! Especially after 2 of them fell out after only one day, so I ended up having to go back to the office to have them put back in. Grr. At least we don't have to wear them too long.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

nimo

#13 Post by nimo »

The spaces between my molars aren't even big enough for waxed floss. The dentist has trouble cleaning back there, and I thought they were never going to get the spacers between my teeth. They hurt for the first five days, and they still hurt when I'm eating. We went out for Chinese food, and the woman was giving samples of orange chicken. When I found out it was soft enough for me to eat without it hurting more than anything else, I was ecstatic!!! I never thought I would be so happy finding new things that I'm able to eat.
Overall, I'm not happy that they still hurt when I eat, but since that's the only time they hurt, that's fine with me.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

joygoss

#14 Post by joygoss »

Thanks, everyone. Glad to know I'm not alone! :D

Nimo - Good luck and congratulations today! Good for you.

Leslie022

#15 Post by Leslie022 »

The assistant assigned to me told me that if I could handle the spacers then the rest of my treatment would be a breeze. So for she is proving to speak the truth.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top