How often do you change your toothbrush?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KJM

How often do you change your toothbrush?

#1 Post by KJM »

How often do you change your toothbrush? I ask because I cant believe how often I am having to buy a new toothbrush. I am atleast once a month purchasing a new one b/c the bristles on the old one are going every which way and all worn out. :oops:

Also do you have a ortho toothbrush or just a regular one? I have never seen them in the stores, so where do you purchase yours from?
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

I have a sonicare and I've been having to change the brush head every couple months. BIG expense!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

OneTime

#3 Post by OneTime »

I change mine every 3-5 months.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

KJM

#4 Post by KJM »

OneTime wrote:I change mine every 3-5 months.
I used to do that too, but now with braces I find that I am having to replace them a lot more often!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

kirst1583

#5 Post by kirst1583 »

I change mine way too often!!! Since having braces I found the same thing. The bristles get that worn out that the toothbrush doesn't last long. I'd say i'm replacing it every few weeks. It sure does become expensive.
I have also used many different types. The ortho recommended a childs toothbrush (because the head is small and it has soft bristles). So I alternate that with a Colgate electric one I bought.

braceface75

#6 Post by braceface75 »

I change mine every month and I get mine from the ortho.
Michele

Braces and elastics since August 26,2004
Removable expander removed June 16,2005
Braces removed June 2,2006

Shawnie

#7 Post by Shawnie »

I change mine about every month. I asked my Ortho where I could buy the toothbrush for braces, since I had not been able to find one at any store. Everyone at my Orthos office is so nice, and the assistant said, you don't have to buy those, and she opened a drawer and told me to take anything I needed any time. Toothbrushes, floss, threaders, wax, anything you'd need.

So now everytime I go in I'm going to get a new toothbrush.
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

genxsis

#8 Post by genxsis »

My ortho said to change it every month. I've had my braces just over 2 weeks and my brush is showing wear already. The assistant gave me a special "braces" brush and said I wouldn't be able to buy them in the store. I asked if the ortho's office would supply them, and she said "no".

I guess I'll be having to buy/use regular ones from now on.

kirst1583

#9 Post by kirst1583 »

Yeah I used the proper one (found it in the supermarket) but wasn't too impressed by it. So now I just use normal ones...

Evelyn

#10 Post by Evelyn »

I use manual toothbrushes, and I use them till I feel that they are just too frayed to be cleaning my teeth properly, which is usually about every 2 months

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

mia_cro

#11 Post by mia_cro »

I change mine every 3-4 months even tough it looks brand new.. (but I know that all the nasty invisible bacteria are present )
My sister's on the contrary gets so warned out after a month...as if she's been chewing the bristles....
I don't know if she pressing to hard while brushing or am I beeing too gentle...

Raspberry

#12 Post by Raspberry »

I use a special braces tooth brush supplied by my orthodontist.

at the office they have toothbrushes, wax, floss, threaders, and proxy brushes out for the taking. So I plan to change my toothbrush every month or two.

johnnya

#13 Post by johnnya »

I change mine every one or two weeks. How can anyone use the same toothbrush for months?