Molar Bands and TPA

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Harpua

Molar Bands and TPA

#1 Post by Harpua »

OK, my molar bands were fitted today and I had a mold taken for a Goshgarian TPA. When they put the bands on (yes there were certainly some peculiar noises in my head when they had me bite down) they had sharp pokies touching my tongue. These 'pokies' are where the wire TPA wire will hook on. My big question is ' when the TPA wire is hooked on, will this cover the sharp edge??? That could be hell on my tongue! Surely it won't be that sharp with the wire attatched, right?

raleighsmile

molar bands

#2 Post by raleighsmile »

Harpua-

I have six molar bands. I will also have a TPA and an expander at some point, but my orthodontist has not installed either yet and said it will be put in place later in my treatment.

The backsides of the bands poking my tongue was the most uncomfortable thing for me also. The first month my tongue kept getting scrapped and poked.

Then when I went for my first adjustment, I mentioned the poking of my tongue, and the orthodontist said, "we can fix that for you" and so he did something, I think he may have bent them up and out of the way.....but all I know is that they no longer poke my tongue. He said he couldn't clip them or remove them because they would be needed later for the TPA and expander. I can still feel them there.....but they no longer poke my tongue. You may want to ask if there is anything they can do.

Before they did this, I used to put the ortho wax on them, but now...I haven't used ortho wax since.

-Chris
12/14/05: Braces on - 6 metal bands, all metal brackets on bottom, ceramic on top.

Harpua

bands

#3 Post by Harpua »

While I appreciate that advice, luckily they were not left on right now. I will get them (and the full TPA attached) next week when my braces are placed. I'm just hoping when they are being used to hold the transpalatal wire, that the attached wire may releive me of the pokieness I experienced in the fitting appointment. Anybody out there with TPA's attached to their bands - how pokie are they??

Dreamer

#4 Post by Dreamer »

Harpua, when they put in my tpa they removed the existing molar bands and replaced one on each side on the top with the tpa attached to the new ones. You won't feel any studs on the inside when they replace them with the new ones which I am guessing they will do on you! The tpa will take a bit of time to get used to though. I had trouble slurring my words for a few weeks with mine.
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

Harpua

TPA

#5 Post by Harpua »

Yeah, I had my bands fitted and a mold taken for my TPA to be made in a lab - wearing spacers right now. When I'm bracketed next week they will slip the bands back on with the TPA already attached (so I'm glad to hear that all assembled it may not be as sharp). My TPA is called a Goshgarian appliance. It is just wire with a u shape bend in the deep p art of my arch - and I have a very deep arch so I'm really hoping my tongue wont be too terribly offended by it! Can you tell I'm trying to comfort myself here? Really hoping I'll still be able to talk worth a damn.

Dreamer

#6 Post by Dreamer »

It may very well have a small acrylic button in the middle that will rest on the top of your arch? At least that is what this link shows (and what mine had) Check this out:

http://www.oc-j.com/issue3/p0000077.htm

Looks like they are going to try and expand out your molars from what I read at that link. You'll do ok, try not to worry! I think the sharp parts will not be sharp because when they attach the TPA it should cover them. Let's hope anyway..I'm in agreement with you... we want comfort whenever possible! :)

Harpua

link

#7 Post by Harpua »

Hey thats a good link - nice to give the little monster a good look, before they make it part of my mouth.

Dreamer

#8 Post by Dreamer »

I always ask what's up for my next appt so that I can look it up and be prepared! It is nice to know what's upcoming! ;) Let us know how it works out for you!