just had 2 teeth taken out

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

katee35

just had 2 teeth taken out

#1 Post by katee35 »

:? Hi everyone, i've been looking at the site for a few weeks now but this is my first posting.
I got my braces 3 weeks ago and thought i was getting used to them (i have 22 months to go...)
Yesterday i had 2 top teeth removed to make room for the front teeth to become straight - and now i'm feeling really scared about the whole thing - i guess because i'm now completely committed to the whole 2 years of braces,and because of the really sore gaps i now have.
I'm also worried because i don't think much is happening - even if it's early days yet!
How long does the pain of the extractions last? and when did you all start to see a change in your teeth?[/img][/code]

braces-boy

#2 Post by braces-boy »

I had two upper teeth removed a few days ago aswell, and I thankfully felt no pain at all after the extractions.

Good luck :-1

sydsmom

#3 Post by sydsmom »

I gotta tell you -- those extractions will help your teeth start to move tremendously.

My upper arch (no extractions) is hardly moving anywhere. My lowers (two bicuspids extracted) are moving fast!

It does feel like a more "permanent" thing once you get teeth pulled...There's no turning back now! But once those teeth start filling in the extraction gaps and becoming straighter, it'll all feel worth it!!

Good luck :-)
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

When I had 3 extractions done back in November, I had to take the week off from work because I couldn't talk and it was hurting me. But each mouth is different. So it's normal for you to feel some pain for a few days...

As for changes, I still haven't really seen any...but I do feel a change when I bite down...and my wire pokes me at the end so there is some movement.

Welcome to the board! :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

oklanole

#5 Post by oklanole »

I had 4 teeth removed on the 8th of this month. One side of my mouth is still sore. I am still taking about 800mg of ibuprofen four times a day to keep the pain at a minimum. I have not had anything but soup since the extractions. I think that my case may be a "worse case scenario!" On thte bright side, I have lost 5 pounds!! Not that I needeto lose a lot anyway but, I will take it.

katee35

#6 Post by katee35 »

:roll:
Thanks for the replies - it's so nice to have other people who can relate to what you're going through, even if we're all doing things our own way!
pain still a bit bad today - i'll keep taking the ibuprofen....

dena

#7 Post by dena »

my soreness wore off in about a week. well, actually, i had the extractions before the braces went on and the braces hurt worse than the extractions so i stopped paying attention to the extraction pain!

i think this will really make the difference in terms of movement. my ortho suggested having the bicuspids removed asap because i wouldnt see movement while they were still there, he said. my bottom teeth have moved, but not tons. My top teeth were straight in 5 weeks.

four bicuspids removed 1/3/06
clear uppers and metal lowers placed 1/5/06
timeframe for braces: 24-30 months