Argh! My power of speech is going away....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bianca

Argh! My power of speech is going away....

#1 Post by Bianca »

I lost the ability to clearly say anything with an "sh" when they put my TPA in five weeks ago.

Over the past couple days the gap in my front teeth has started to open up, and I now can't say the letter "f" without having a big stream of air shoot through my front teeth.

This is just peachy. I sound like a freakin' dork.

:) of course, I am completely tickled that I have this space in my front teeth, an even space instead of a crooked space like it used to be. It's progress, and it's pretty awesome.

It's a two year process.......

ren

#2 Post by ren »

hi, I can totally relate to this one! I have a RPE in and still have a hard time with the hard k's, g's, q's etc. The other day I was eating lunch w/friends and went to talk when I did my saliva flew in what seemed like every direction. How embarrasing. I almost feel like I shouldn't talk, esp. at lunch time.
renee

braceface1230

#3 Post by braceface1230 »

Can also relate. My two top laterals used to be directly behind my centrals, so my tongue over the years used those two laterals often to form words. Well now one of the lats is in its rightful place, and the other is getting there so, its been pretty interesting trying to form words lately. Especially "S" words. I too am sounding like a dork, but for some reason, I get the feeling some people have thought that for years. Oh well, better to realize it later in life than never at all, right? :?

Bianca

#4 Post by Bianca »

Lucyloop wrote:One thing I did find was that I was getting tongue-tied and the words/letters mixed up.

Whoa - I am having that exact problem. For some reason I didn't relate it to the ortho hardware. It has been freakin' me out a little bit, I'm usually so good at constructing sentences and vocabulary and couldn't figure out what in the heck was happening. All of my sentences seem to be jumbled and the wrong letters seem to be coming out... I had a small concern that it was a mental condition of some kind. :0

I'm so glad you posted about that!

It's a two year process.......