Anybody else not really care about their bite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

flowertowngal

Anybody else not really care about their bite?

#1 Post by flowertowngal »

I'm 40 and in braces. My bite has never been perfect but I got the braces purely for cosmetic reasons. My ortho told me that without major jaw surgery he wouldn't be able to do much about my bite but that he could definately make my teeth look straight with braces. I was fine with that. It's been a year now and my teeth look fantastic, very straight, but my bite is even worse. For instance, my teeth on the left side don't even touch when I bite down.

Sounds bad but thing thing is - it doesn't bother me one bit! I mean, it's just not a big concern for me - is that weird? Does anyone else feel this way?

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

I don't really care about my bite either. The only reason I wanted braces was to fix the spacing in my top arch. My ortho, on the other hand, is going to fix my bite whether I like it or not.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Scalawaggirl

#3 Post by Scalawaggirl »

Wow, I have to say that my bite, which is now not touching due to braces is driving me batty! Eating, while very difficult due to soreness, etc., is now no fun at all and I find that I only eat so I don't starve. :D

Of course, each to his/her own but I'll be one happy camper when my teeth are again reacquainted.

Leslie022

#4 Post by Leslie022 »

That's understandable, Scalawaggirl. :!:I'm sure if my teeth weren't touching then the spacing issue I have wouldn't be quite as important as my bite.:!: Thankfully, however, I don't have that problem.

I hope your ortho is able to correct that super fast so you will be able to eat normally!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

nimo

#5 Post by nimo »

I don't really care about my bite, either. My teeth haven't touched since I got spacers two weeks ago, and braces haven't made the situation better. But really I wanted to do this for aesthetic reasons. I have to have jaw surgery because that's the only way any of this is actually going to get accomplished, and since insurance covers it the only concern I have is pain and recovery time.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

fyrelight

#6 Post by fyrelight »

Ah, but your BITE problems can turn INTO cosmetic issues..... if your teeth are hitting the wrong way, it can wear them down wrong... making you susceptible to more cavities, broken teeth, grinding, ...alll sorts of things. If its possible to fix a bite without too much trouble, its probably best to go ahead and do it.... of course, surgery might be "too much trouble" for a lot of us. :)
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

cookie

#7 Post by cookie »

The motivation behind me getting braces was purely cosmetic - I want nice straight even teeth that look good.

My bite come second to that - in fact my ortho reckons my bite will never be 100%, but as long as my teeth look good, I don't really mind.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

It’s important to get your bite straightened out because bad alignment can cause uneven tooth wear and lead to jaw problems. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it won't cause you trouble in the future.

kirst1583

#9 Post by kirst1583 »

My bite was part of the cosmetic reason for getting braces. Even though the main thing I want is my teeth nice and straight, I figure I've paid all that money so they might as well do the job right. I don't want to end up with any major issues with my jaw later because of a mucked up bite.

TheUnk311

#10 Post by TheUnk311 »

For me, correcting my bite was the entire reason I went to the ortho in the first place. I have an underbite and my jaw would pop occasionaly and has only been getting worse, they told me there is a good chance this will fix that. I have to have surgery to correct mine :cry:

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

ditto for me. The bite was reason number 1. If I got straight teeth out of it that was a nice side benefit! I am even willing to get these braces off if my teeth are not totally perfect, as long as my bite is. Funny thing is I think they straighten the teeth in general first and then start working on the bite.

johnnya

Same here

#12 Post by johnnya »

I have some crossbite and overbite.

My teeth are getting much better now (more straight).
My ortho says my overbite is much less now. Don't know how this was done though as I have braces only. I noticed my bite has changed a bit..

But as long as my teeth are straight and white (later on), I'm not to bothered with my bite..

flowertowngal

Well...

#13 Post by flowertowngal »

My ortho left it up me basically, though his recommendation was to skip the surgery if my reasons were purely cosmetic. I have no insurance so every expense comes directly out of my pocket. Ideally, I needed jaw surgery, gum grafts and braces. The gum grafts were essential as he would not put the braces on until I had them done. The grafts and the braces together cost $8,000. The jaw surgery would have added thousands more - my ortho was completely comfortable with me skipping the surgery and settling for a less-than-pefect bite. And my teeth look great. So I'm not complaining.

texasangel

#14 Post by texasangel »

flowertowngirl,

I'm in my 40's also and that is what my dentist(my regular dentist is doing my braces) said about putting braces on without jaw surgery. But my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I went for just getting my teeth straight. And after 13 months they are a lot straighter, but I will still have a small overbite. My right side (bite) is the first to meet, but the left side is "catching up" and starting to meet more each day. I go to the dentist this Thursday and hopefully he will say it's time to take them off !!! I can only HOPE !

I am at the point to where I would also say that I don't care if they are hitting at the same time, but I would be worried that it would start to bother me later when the braces are off, and then I would be sorry that I didn't wait a little longer to get them even.

My bottom jaw still has a slight "curve", the bottom front teeth curve upward just slightly, but I would have to have jaw surgery.
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!

hannah164

#15 Post by hannah164 »

If it really doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it! To most people it won't really matter. :wink: Its nice that your ortho left it up to you!

My bite is one of the many reasons I got braces and I really want to get it fixed. I have a sever overbite and a deep bite and it is really uncomfortable! :( My top teeth cover my bottom brackets fully! :shock:

Good luck!

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment was 2/1/06 where they bonded a bracket to my cuspid, which was impacted!!!! OUCH!