Blood when you floss?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jennandtonic

Blood when you floss?

#1 Post by jennandtonic »

Anyone else having this problem? I never used to get blood when I flossed before I had braces, now I'm getting a little bit each time. Is this normal?

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

It's normal to sometimes bleed a little...but if its on a lot of teeth and very often, I suggest you calling your dentist or ortho...could be a sign of early gum disease; gingivitis

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

noppi

#3 Post by noppi »

Lucyloop - what's OTT?

There's this one spot way in the back that tends to bleed for me. One time it was a lot...eek.
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

Leslie022

#4 Post by Leslie022 »

My teeth are so tight, I have to use a lot of force just to get the floss between them. So, naturally, my gums bleed when they are basically sliced by the floss. :?
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

jennandtonic

#5 Post by jennandtonic »

I spoke with my orthodontist today and she said there is nothing to worry about, and checked me out and said I have an 'A' in the cleaning department. She said it was probably just overzealous flossing. Thank you for all your suggestions, looks like my cleaning is sometimes OTT, too! :D

DizzyKitty

#6 Post by DizzyKitty »

I have a couple spots that bleed where I have to slice it in there too.
- Dizzy

WiredNana

#7 Post by WiredNana »

I don't have the bleeding...but my teeth sure do ache after flossing!
Plus...they feel like they have moved...can this happen after just 4 days from being braced?

bracesmom

#8 Post by bracesmom »

Yes, I understand. I posted (perhaps in the wrong place) a similar concern
I am pretty routine in my flossing and brushing habbits.

I floss more often now than I did before braces. Did you ever notice your gums were more sensitive to flossing after you had braces on?? My gums are actually bleeding at times which I didn't have a problem with before. Is it because my gums are more sensitive with the movement of my teeth? I am wondering what the deal is...
Perhaps I am just "OTT" :wink: too with my flossing now...? I wonder....