For those thinking about taking the plunge...1 mnth update

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Orth-ohno!

For those thinking about taking the plunge...1 mnth update

#1 Post by Orth-ohno! »

This is intended for all of those browsing around the site that are contemplating taking the plunge (I'm sure there are many, as I was one myself :D ) It has been exactly one month since I had ceramic uppers put on. (Lower metals go on in a few months) I prepared myself for what to expect (thanks to this site) and expected the worst. Here is an honest account of this very reluctant person's experience:

First, the looks issue. Yes, you will be shocked the first time you look in the mirror, and yes you will wonder what everyone else is going to think. :oops: After a couple of days, however, you will get used to it and realize that nobody else really cares! (I'm an instructor at the local college and the very few students that said anything only said positive things!)

Second, the pain. The spacers are probably going to hurt.. a lot. :shock: Happily, this usually doesn't last for more than a few days. I had 8 put in, 2 of them metal because the teeth were too close to get the rubber ones in. (I had to go back in a week and have them exchaned for the rubber- total time 2 weeks.) Take advil (or equivalent) BEFORE you get them in and keep up with it so the pain doesn't set in and you will be fine. By day four I was eating normal food again.

Third, mouth sores. Yep, you're more than likely going to get them. :? The braces will annoy the heck out of the inside of your mouth for the first week or so. (Salt water rinses and wax will get you through the worst of it.) Even though at the time it seems impossible, in a couple of weeks you wont have near the soreness issues you did in the beginning.

Fourth, loose teeth. Yes, your teeth will feel loose. :shock: They are moving around, so what else would you expect! It makes them a little senstive, but not really any discomfort. IT MEANS THE BRACES ARE WORKING!!

Finally, is all of this worth it? Only if you want healthy teeth and gums (now that you can actually floss between your teeth), want to fix annoying jaw pain (TMJ), and want a great smile, void of gaps and/or crowded teeth. Don't let fear stop you from achieving your goals. :wink:

Hope this helps!

WiredNana

#2 Post by WiredNana »

Yes indeed! I know it will be worth it but.....
I'm on day 3 of the pain, and I still can't believe I have paid BIG BUCKS to have some guy super-glue LEGOS to my teeth....

may the 'Straight-Tooth-Fairy' bless us all.........

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

WiredNana wrote:I still can't believe I have paid BIG BUCKS to have some guy super-glue LEGOS to my teeth....

may the 'Straight-Tooth-Fairy' bless us all.........
Lol that's funny :)

The first 3 days are usually the worse. I was lucky as I haven't felt any pain at all...just sensitivity and things like that. But it will get better :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Marzipan

#4 Post by Marzipan »

Just so not everyone who is contemplating braces will think there is a lot of pain... those spacers were not fun but use of ibuprofen made it not all that painful. They were more annoying than anything.

I have been braced for over 2 months. No mouth sores to speak of yet. I use wax where it is expedient.

Right now and for over a month I've had a rubber band in. No big deal. More than once, a rubber band has broken while in place, and even that barely hurts. I have wire ties and a chain between some teeth. Again - almost zero pain.

The teeth do feel a bit loose here and there but I've grown used to it. I can eat just about anything as long as I do it slowly and carefully.

The way I look in the mirror? I kind of like it. :D

My only true complaint is that I have to get my lips back down over the braces when a smile is over. But it gets easier with practice.

nimo

#5 Post by nimo »

My loose teeth are the molars, so eating is...non-existent for the most part. They hurt a little, but chewing with them feels so weird and uncomfortable that I don't want to eat. The only pain I have is getting in between certain teeth when I floss (my bottom teeth have gotten closer because other ones have spread out, so I'm not exactly unhappy about it because at least they're moving). I've got one sore spot so far, and the saltwater works great.
As long as I'm not eating or talking (which is most of the time), I hardly notice them, and it's only been a week.

My only thing is the extractions. I don't deal well with nausea. I'd rather just live in a world of pain than throw up even one time. But off I go to make my appointment for those.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

nimo wrote:My only thing is the extractions. I don't deal well with nausea. I'd rather just live in a world of pain than throw up even one time. But off I go to make my appointment for those.
I'm right here with you! I rather deal with pain than face things like extractions and such...but we got to do what we got to do don't we?! lol

~~~~~~

Flora2006

#7 Post by Flora2006 »

KK wrote:Something to remember ... NOT everyone has spacers! I'm only guessing here, but I think that at least 1/3 of this board are like me and have brackets on our back molar. This bracket has a tube for the archwire to go through and a hook for elastics. It doesn't require spacers as it's attached to your tooth the same as all the other brackets.:banana:
I have exactly the same thing as you just described. Never got any spacers or anything like that...just a bracket.

~~~~~~

Raspberry

#8 Post by Raspberry »

Marzipan wrote:My only true complaint is that I have to get my lips back down over the braces when a smile is over. But it gets easier with practice.
I was trying to explain this feeling to my boyfriend... I've coined the term "to unsmile"... smiling=easy, unsmiling=not so easy :lol:

karamon

#9 Post by karamon »

I was a lurker too for around 2 months. I've been braced for 2 days and have only minimal pain and a small sore inside my cheek. But surprisingly don't have much pain. The first time I had braces I had the spacers and then the bands on the rear molars. That was also 20 years ago. This time I have Damon 3s and also am one with no brackes on rear molars. Why is that? I was wondering that today. Does anyone know?

This thread made me laugh out loud. Super glue legos...:lol: I'm going to tell my ortho that when I see him in 10 weeks. Damons go 10 weeks for adjustments, which is good...but now I'll have to store that line in my head for 10 more weeks.

Also the "unsmile"...I love it. I was telling my husband I feel like a large mouthed bass everytime I'm sucking my lips out of my braces.

I'm happy to be going through this with other adults around the globe who can appreciate the experience.

Legos...unsmile...love it!!!!

Good night all!
KarinD

Braced 2/23 Opals top 6 / Damon 3s rest.

WiredNana

#10 Post by WiredNana »

I, by no means, want to discourage anyone by my 'Pain' comment....I still fully believe I have made the right decision....

But, it should still be noted that there is Discomfort and at times Pain associated with any dental or Ortho. procedures......I myself breezed through the extractions and had no problems with the spacers......

But, the braces themselves, for me, have been a different story.....

Different for everyone, I know....that's why this forum is sooo important!

This has been the best and hardest decision for me, but I would do it over....

(I have had 4 kids......Now, let's TALK ABOUT PAIN!