Got the dreaded extraction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

seeminglyshy

Got the dreaded extraction

#1 Post by seeminglyshy »

....and it was a breeze.

The extraction that it.

The aftermath was brutal.

Join me as I float back to last Friday:

I had an 8 o'clock appt and was told not to eat for at least six hours before. Needless to say, I was starving by the time the extraction was complete!

I went the Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) route, as it was more cost efficient @ $644. They injected me with the typical tooth/mouth numbing substance and proceeded to pull them out. All sorts of things went through my mind, but I was, for the most part, completely relaxed -- partially engaged in their conversation (they were a funny lot, the dental assistants)

Thankfully I was told that I didnt need to have any bone removed, etc - simply pulling on the 4 wisdom teeth -- cut and dry.

When it was done - 45 mins later my mouth was still numb and could seem to close. I hadnt seen myself so I would later found that that was the result of the gauze that was placed there to catch the blood.

The most difficult part of it for me was afterwards. I coudnt eat OR drink! No matter how soft, I couldnt seem to swallow! Not even my smoothie - which I was told to consume before taking the percoset pain killer and antibiotics which were prescribed. As the novacaine wore off, the pain set in, but it was more of a dull ache.

When I went to pick up the prescription it took the FOREVER due to the fact that it was a new pharmacy that didnt have my updated insurance information. I literally cried because they took so long. Of course, I feel foolish in retrospect but at that point it felt as though my world had ended.

Went home, slept - percoset really knocks you out.

Most disgusting part is drooling uncontrollably - blood no less.

My advice, pile a few towels on your pillow for the next 2 days before resting your head on the pillow. It's very necessary. Also, stock up on gauze, the amount the tend to give at the oral surgeon's office simply isnt enough. Buy a lot of fruits that you can blend them and drink smoothies for the next few days, thin smoothies, not thick because like me, you may have difficulty swallowing. Initially at least. Have someone close by to take care of you because you may feel faint.
Personally, I was very queasy because I was told NOT to spit, as doing so may dislodge a bloodclot. Therefore, I found that I actually swallowed quite a bit of blood. YUCK. Added to that was the fact that I had taken heavy duty painkillers on a semi empty, vanilla smoothie drenched stomach -- needless to say I spent a few minutes kneeling in front of the toilet :cry:

All in all, by the third day I was feeling MUCH better. So much better in fact that I was dancing around the house -- doing my happy dance :lol:

Perhaps I've shared entirely too much, perhaps this was helpful.

Just wanted you guys to know what to expect -- the good, the bad and the not so pretty. :)
Braced: 9/23/05

Having 4 wisdom teeth extracted: 2/17/06 *ouchie*

Ceramic on top, metal below.

Duration: 2 years

Betty Bat

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

Congratulations!

And, you're quite a writer. All of that "blood 'n' smoothies" images are now floating through my mind.

seeminglyshy

#3 Post by seeminglyshy »

Betty Bat wrote:Congratulations!

And, you're quite a writer. All of that "blood 'n' smoothies" images are now floating through my mind.
:lol: lol, Thanks Betty.

Lexy

#4 Post by Lexy »

This sounds very similar to my wisdom tooth ordeal. I had some complications, so my pain was very severe for about a week and a half, but thankfully yours went smoothly!

Like you, I was very nauseous afterwards (I sat in front of the toilet too!), I bled pretty excessively those first 3 days and continued to "seep" for a week, and I lived on liquids for the better part of 2 weeks.

It's not a fun experience! In fact, I would have to say it was probably one of the worst I've had to go through. I do not envy your position right now, but I do sympathize, and I am so glad to hear you're doing better now. :D

Keep on keepin' on. It's all downhill from here!
Braced: June 2005
Treatment Time: 30 months
Metal on Top and Bottom

seeminglyshy

#5 Post by seeminglyshy »

Lexy wrote:This sounds very similar to my wisdom tooth ordeal. I had some complications, so my pain was very severe for about a week and a half, but thankfully yours went smoothly!

Like you, I was very nauseous afterwards (I sat in front of the toilet too!), I bled pretty excessively those first 3 days and continued to "seep" for a week, and I lived on liquids for the better part of 2 weeks.

It's not a fun experience! In fact, I would have to say it was probably one of the worst I've had to go through. I do not envy your position right now, but I do sympathize, and I am so glad to hear you're doing better now. :D

Keep on keepin' on. It's all downhill from here!
Oh Lexy, 2 weeks! That was brutal.

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal and I'm happy you're doing much better now too :D

Flora2006

Re: Got the dreaded extraction

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

seeminglyshy wrote:I went the Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) route, as it was more cost efficient @ $644.
It costs 644 to het laughing gas or the whole removal of wisdom teeth?

I am glad things are getting better for you :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

karamon

#7 Post by karamon »

I had my wisdown teeth extracted more than 20 years ago and at that time they did it 2 at a time instead of all 4. Youch!!!!!! Swallowing blood is enough to make you quasy and the percocet...I was on the lawn retching a few times. My cousin takes percocet to clean her house...she says it makes her "perky" ...get it. Not me. I was laying on the couch and could barely talk I was so wasted. Anyway, just can't believe they did all 4. No wonder you couldn't swallow you were probably so swollen too.

Glad to hear you feel better!
Karin D

Braced 2/23 Opals top 6 / Damon 3s rest.