Got "braced" on thursday.....questions!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cbarrett

Got "braced" on thursday.....questions!

#1 Post by Cbarrett »

Hey,
I was planning to get braces late last year, but some other health probs got in the way.
I'm still dealing with those, but figured it best to continue on with my life and go ahead with my plan of getting braces, the major reason was never really because anyone ever told me or noticed me not having that "perfect" smile. It was always because I was so self conscious of not having one.

I got braces on thursday, upper ceramics and lower metals, and its not nearly as bad as i thought. People are fascinated and suprised (as hell) that I got them, and that suprises me! One thing that inspires me is that when i see someone with braces, i think, theirs someone with ballz, who is going to improve their life no matter what.

Neway,
I've been sore as hell, the "pressure" pain doesn't bother me one bit, but on my 2nd last molars in the back (both upper and lowers) the braces are metal and large (even on the top) and are poking the heck out of my cheeks and my tongue (on the inside of the molar). My ortho gave me a dental kit with some wax, but so far I've only used it once and just take out a little ball and try and cover the brace or bracket or whatever the hell it is to the best of my ability to stop it from "pricking" me.
Will i ever get used to this?

Another thing is that since i have an underbite, my ortho (instead of me having to wear a biteplate) put some blue acrylic substance on my back molars which prevents me from biting all the way down, its actually better than i thought and my mouth is not nearly as protruding as i thought it would. But it does make eating and chewing twice as hard, and it hurts like hell when i swallow, i think my tongue is still sore on the inside from those big brackets in the back.

Whats your advice on using the wax? am i doing it right?

I'm a little over a month of my first adjustment and then 23 more to go. I'll be 26....(almost 27) when I get them off. I just couldn't get over being so self conscious of my smile when i was out and about (i know its baseless and anxiety) but the fact that i need braces shows that i could use some improvement (prob a lot) i just hope in the end its all worth it.

Chris

mytch

#2 Post by mytch »

Hey Chris,
I actually had the same thing quite a bit... either your ortho isn't cutting the wire close enough to your teeth, or your teeth are moving together on one side, thus pulling the wire with them and leaving extra at the end, which is pricking you.

I haven't had it for a few weeks now (I've had my braces for 10 months) but if it's hurting that much probly a good idea to go back to your ortho and ask him/her to trim the excess wire. I guess you could even do it yourself if you're careful..

nimo

#3 Post by nimo »

Warm saltwater, best thing ever.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

jennandtonic

#4 Post by jennandtonic »

For using wax, make sure the inside of your mouth is dry or it won't connect right. After awhile of the wax being there, you won't notice except for when you take it out before you eat and brush your teeth.

They're right, warm salt water is the best! Though at first it REALLY hurt my cheeks, since the braces had done a good job of slicing my mouth up.

belmikry

#5 Post by belmikry »

hey chris! welcome to the forum!

those pricky things [if you have a mirror] may also be hooks they put on the back molars in case they needd elastics/othger appliances and they are very irritating at the beginning- like kiwi said, wax it as much as needed- the minute it starts poking you, wax it- I one day didn't because I wanted to play the "no pain no gain" game [don't ask] and I got a horrible canker sore from it >_>... eventually, your mouth will toughen up to them, I promise! warm salt water rinses, brushing and time will do wonders ;)

ahhh, you have the dreaded lifters as well! [the blue cement guys in your back molars hmm?] I have them as well, aren't they awfulk at first? you can't eat anything [soreness and well, can't chew!] but eventually your mouth gets used to them, I learned at first to use the lifter to chew with once the molar stopped being sore :P... don't worry if they pop out either- this has happened to me and another member on the forum- and they are non-toxic, we've found :P [went right down with the hashbrowns- didn't even notice I ate it o_o...]

welcome to the forum and hope to see some pictures! :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

Cbarrett

Thankx....more questions....

#6 Post by Cbarrett »

Thanks for all of your responses.
I must admit that I have been really, really, really lax with the wax. Because i figured my mouth would get used to it (the pricking), but now I know better.
One thing about the wax though, can I eat or drink after using it? Or should I remove it prior to eating (like one of you mentioned), but what about drinking?
Also, should I use it before going to bed?

I'm going to definitely start using it now (I'm actually going to "lube up" right now after this message) and the salt water thing sounds great (i used to gargle with it when i started to get a sore throat)

The things that are really hurting are the "hooks" or "large brackets" they put around your last molars, so its definitely not the wire, as when i had the braces put on, my ortho told me the wire was going to prick me for a few minutes then she would clip it. Once she did, i was fine, that pricking is different, because it feels like a needle pricking you and it comes at the end of your mouth. This is different, its like my mouth gets caught on those big brackets, and their also on the inside of my molars (facing the tongue) and they hurt like heck when i swallow because my tongue brushes up against them.
Anyway, my ortho did mention that over time the wire will straighten and the teeth will move, which may cause the wire to protrude again, so it will prick me again and need to get clipped. She said when that happens, just call the office and they will take care of it.

One thing the ortho told me during my visit is something im a little concerned about. I love this ortho (although her office staff sucks) because she has put up with so much from me, from quotes for just uppers, questions, all types of things, she really spent a lot of time with me prior to me making up my decision, anyway; from our previous consversations i would have to wear a retainer, just at night (she said) for a year or so.

But when she was putting in my braces, she said due to them not removing any bottom teeth (because of the overcrowding) i will have to wear a "fixed retainer" which is a wire attatched to the back of your teeth. She said it doesn't hurt one bit, and no one can see it.
I read up a little on it, and although we didn't discuss a time frame for this (because my mouth was spread open and she was putting the braces in) from what i've read this is usually permanent.
I'll be 26 when i get these off (close to 27) and don't plan having to see her for the rest of my life to check on my retainer (let alone a full nother year) this was something i wasn't planning on. I'm actually planning on going overseas a year or so after i get my braces off (depending on what happens) so what do you guys think about this? Im definitely going to ask her during my next visit, just thought i would get your thoughts.

Neway, thanks again for all of your responses.

23 visits to go.
Chris

Dark_angel

#7 Post by Dark_angel »

Hey about the fixed retainer my boyfriend has one accross a few of his top teeth to stop the gap opening again. His ortho told him that eventually it would come loose and when it did just to visit his regular dentist and they could remove it. So it appears it will not be there for the rest of his life but probably for another few years. It dosent bother him at all. So i wouldnt worry about a fixed retainer.

CLAmom

#8 Post by CLAmom »

This doesn't answer your last question but back to the beginning when you were talking about the discomfort with the molar bands. I have a separate posting on this site because I have been so tortured since getting my braces on last Wednesday by these things. I have 4 uppper molar bands but the only ones that bother me are the 2 that are closest to the front of my mouth. On the inside of these things are what I found out later to be a hook or fastener for a TPA appliance which I don't have and will never have to have. It is basically a sharp protrusion of metal that just tears up my tongue. On Thursday I went in and they ground it down some and so that helped quite a bit. It is still very rough though and scratchy so I plan to go in Monday and have them buff it off more. I have had a lot of encouragement from people on this message board and a lot of assurance that my mouth will get used to the scratching. I'd like to believe it's possible but then again, everyone's pain tolerance is different. Everything else about the braces is totally bearable to me and I honestly don't think about them much already only after 3 days but this metal jabbing in the back is not acceptable. I use big wax gobs on it and that stays on all day & night even when I'm eating and sleeping. Right now I'm doing more drinking than eating food (soup, anyone?) so it probably wouldn't stay on if you are eating solid food. I take it off before I brush my teeth 3 times a day but put more in as soon as I'm done. Wax is my friend. I've also ordered some Brace-Eze that I have heard is easier to work with than the wax. I also do the salt water rinses, they are so soothing and sometimes rinse with a product called Peroxil but it has a bit of an odd aftertaste. Use everything you can to stay comfortable. Even if you are using the wax, your mouth will toughen up but if there is something that really doesn't feel right you should contact your ortho. That is what they are there for. :flowerbloom:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

ssfw

#9 Post by ssfw »

Hi Cbarrett,

In reply to your question about eating with the wax in your mouth, I eat while the wax is in my mouth. Some days it doesn't effect the wax and some days it does. I find that if I eat something very hot, it tends to soften the wax but it's still covering the area that's irritating me. I think sometimes it depends on what you're eating and how well the wax is adhered to your bracket. I do know some people remove the wax while eating/drinking - there's no right or wrong, just see what works for you and always be sure to have extra wax with you in case you do need to replace it. There have been a few times that I didn't put any wax on because it felt fine and after a few hours at work I found the certain area of my expander was irritating my tongue when I was talking - I was so thankful to have the wax in my purse. I haven't had to use any wax in the last week and I think it is because the warm salt water rinses has helped so much.

Regarding the fixed retainer - I don't know much about them but personally I would prefer to have a removable retainer. Do you know if the fixed retainer is usually suggested because there is a possibility of movement that the retainer can't prevent?

Take care.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

jennandtonic

#10 Post by jennandtonic »

My bands bothered me really badly at first too. I have them on every one of my molars, top and bottom, and i had to use a lot of wax at first. My mouth is pretty used to them now, though, just give it a few days if you haven't adjusted already.

As for the wax, I take it out when I eat, but usually not when I drink water. When the drink is sugary I'm a little wary of keeping the wax in.

belmikry

#11 Post by belmikry »

as for the wax, I use it while i'm eating [ouch! can you imagine the irritation while chewing? :O] and then reapply it after brushing right after the meal- this way, you know no food is wedged in between the wax/brackets, and if it llosens up/falls out while eating, its no big deal.

Dont' worry about using too much wax a t first- the more, the less irritation- I used to use it at night as well, because I apparently move around alot, and grind :P... but with the salt water rinses and occasional times without wax, your mouth will adjust to them being there :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

Cbarrett

#12 Post by Cbarrett »

i feel like im never going to be able to swallow. The "hooks" or "large brackets" on the inside of my molars next to my tongue are the worst. Every time i chew, swallow, or spit, my tongue lashes into them. This is horrible, I hope i get used to it soon, I've been living on protein shakes.

Chris

CLAmom

#13 Post by CLAmom »

I wanted to post here once more just to say that I woke up this morning feeling so much better and the horrible scratching on the inside of my molar bands IS BETTER. I am sitting here at my computer and I haven't had ANY wax on for about 2 1/2 hours and I'm okay. I may have to use some later because my tongue is still sore but I wanted to put my two cents in and say I think I will be able to tolerate this. Yesterday and the day before I thought I would be insane by now from the constant friction even with gobs of wax on. I hope this provides some comfort to those of you who are new to braces and are dealing with this particular pain and annoyance. Hang in there!!!! :-1

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"