What if you move ??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

StacyJo

What if you move ??

#1 Post by StacyJo »

I was braced on January 20th and have not even had my first adjustment yet. So far, my ortho received $1000.00 from my insurance company.....$705 from me and I am on a monthly payment plan of $205/month for 14 months. Now for my question......I might be moving to Albany, NY (currently in PA). Will I be obligated to continue my monthly payments to my current ortho PLUS find a new ortho to continue my treatment ?

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

You have to talk to your ortho about this. You will for sure not continue paying if you switch orthos, but you will probably not get back all the money you already paid.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Jesslzz 01

#3 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

I have been searching for a post about this subject, because I'm moving soon too. I will then have to make a 2 hours trip to visit my ortho.

I'm worried about having an emergency, and having to wait too much. It would be really ironic because there is an ortho office just around the corner of the place I'm moving to.

The payments issue is a big problem, no one seems to know how to deal with it. I know that it should be discussed with the ortho directly, but it is helpful to know how others solved this problem.

Have any of you moved and switched orthos? Any experience is really helpful, I couldn't find any answers on this topic on the forum! Thanks a lot!!!

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!

jilly

#4 Post by jilly »

I moved during the middle of my treatment. With only one payment away from being paid in full, my ortho was only able to refund $550 of my treatment costs ($4700). My new ortho charged me $500 for new molds, x-rays and ect. and then charged me $165 for each visit and another $550 for my debanding and retainer and I'm moving again next month and will probably have to find another ortho if I have any issues with my retainer. So, expect to pay quite a bit more to continue your treatment .

wearetheborg

#5 Post by wearetheborg »

I asked my ortho about this as I am expecting to move. He said it ws not an uncommon occurence. You will not have to make full payment, and they should transfer your records to the new ortho (for a small fee), but he left the total amout that I would need to pay for my partial treatment up in the air. So your total treatment cost will not be full payment to each ortho, but you will definigtely incur a surcharge each time you switch. How much ? I think that depends on the ortho.

Jesslzz 01

#6 Post by Jesslzz 01 »

Thank you very much!

That was the kind of info I was in need of. Now I know what to do, and I'm prepared to review those "fees" with my ortho. Thanks again!

Top braces on: January 9th, 2006. Lowers on February 14th, 2006
Full metalmouth!