Toothpaste whitening with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lin

Toothpaste whitening with braces

#1 Post by Lin »

Does anybody know whether it is wise or not to use a whitening toothpaste while braces are still on? Or will it make the color of my teeth uneven once the braces come off (like under where the brackets were, where whitening toothpaste can't touch with braces)?

Any tips for things to do or not to do while braces are on to avoid staining and marks once the braces come off?
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

genxsis

#2 Post by genxsis »

I've been told it's a bad idea for the very reason you gave. The whitening form the toothpaste cannot affect the area of your teeth under the brackets, so when they come off, the whitening will be uneven.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

eoberhauser

#3 Post by eoberhauser »

My orthodontist said it is absolutely no problem. My boyfriend who had braces when he was in his early teens said his teeth were actually whiter where his brackets were when he got them off. I think it's a call for your orthodontist to make.

Harpua

From what I've heard

#4 Post by Harpua »

At least form what I've heard, whitening toothpaste don't really do a whole lot of whitening as they whitening agent doesn't spend enough time in contact with the tooth. They are however, much more useful, for maintaining tooth whitening. I think it shouldn't make much difference, other than maybe keeping your teeth from staining, which would be a good thing. And my orthos opinion was that whitening toothpaste is fine.

Flora2006

Re: From what I've heard

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

Harpua wrote:At least form what I've heard, whitening toothpaste don't really do a whole lot of whitening as they whitening agent doesn't spend enough time in contact with the tooth. They are however, much more useful, for maintaining tooth whitening. I think it shouldn't make much difference, other than maybe keeping your teeth from staining, which would be a good thing. And my orthos opinion was that whitening toothpaste is fine.
I agree.

I still won't use whitening paste JUST in case but whitening paste doesn't really whiten in the first place...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

My ortho told me to stop using whitening toothpastes while I have the braces on. I've noticed a big change in the color of my teeth, too. I don't go by advice completely...I use whitening toothpastes 1 or 2 a month just to keep my teeth from staining really bad. I'm a coffee drinker, so...

Leslie
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Evelyn

#7 Post by Evelyn »

I think regular toothpaste with whitening should be fine but just be careful when it comes to the more expensive ones that promise a stronger whitening. I don't think they would make a difference, but better safe than sorry

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

KJM

#8 Post by KJM »

I use a whitening toothpaste (Crest baking soda and peryoxide) and my ortho said it was ok. I also use Remembrant Intense Stain to remove any coffee stains ( it is expencive but works well)
My dentist recommended I use Listerine Whitening mouthwash as well, but I am going to ask the ortho before doing that.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

rsprouse

#9 Post by rsprouse »

Whitening toothpaste's have no active ingredient for whitening which is usually a peroxide (carbamide, hydrogen, etc). They are called whitening because they have a mild abbrasive that is more aggressive at removing stain than a normal toothpaste. Baking soda is a popular ingredient. It will give you similar "whitening" results as if you got your teeth professionally cleaned at the dentist. That being said, if you eat or drink a lot of things that will stain your teeth (if it stains a white shirt it will stain your teeth) then you may benefit a little from a whitening toothpaste. But brushing with a product will not result in having dark spots where you brackets are/were when they are removed. Just stick to whatever toothpaste you like.

Lin

#10 Post by Lin »

It sounds like whitening toothpaste is probably okay to use. I will ask my ortho at my next adjustment anyway, but I suspect that if using it really could leave marks after the braces are removed, there would be more warnings from orthos about that... because I really love my whitening toothpaste!

Thanks, everybody!
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

stargirl

#11 Post by stargirl »

I used whitening toothpaste before braces, and I still use the same kind now. A couple weeks ago at my last adjustment, I had a few brackets taken off, and there was no difference between the part under the bracket and the normally exposed tooth... 10 months later, after only using whitening toothpaste.
I had too thought that whitening toothpaste could make it look all blotchy, and I was relieved to see that it all looked a nice uniform colour.