Indirect bonding vs direct bonding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ScottR

Indirect bonding vs direct bonding

#1 Post by ScottR »

I was at my orthos office for my consultation and she said she would use the indirect bonding method for placing the brackets. I was just curious how many have gone the indirect route? Indirect is were all brackets are in a mold and then placed on the teeth all at one time.

ItsGavinC

#2 Post by ItsGavinC »

I had indirect bonding done yesterday on upper and lowers. The entire process took 30 minutes and I have no complaints!

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

I had mine indirect bonded almost a year ago.

There is no minor adjustment after they are placed.

In fact, that can't be done since the cement is hardened while the mold is still in the mouth. Once they are hardened with the UV light, the mold is pulled out and you are DONE!

I did have a few that popped off immediately after and then had to be direct bonded. My ortho was sure that it was poorly prepared brackets (from manufacturer) and not the bonding method that caused the problem. I've not lost any since.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Shawnie

#4 Post by Shawnie »

Hi ScottR,
I too had my brackets put on with indirect bonding. Been on five months now and no problems.

At four months my Ortho checked to see if any brackets needed to be re-positioned, but he said I didn't need any re-positioning.

When they were trying to get the trays out after the cement was hardened they couldn't get them off my teeth. They were tugging and pulling and they just wouldn't come off. I think she used too much glue. But anyway, she called someone else over to help her and she was able to get them off. My Ortho said better too much glue than not enough. Sometimes I worry that they won't be able to get them off when the time comes!
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06