A bit disappointed

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jim G.

A bit disappointed

#1 Post by Jim G. »

Hey everyone, I'm "new" here, but I've been reading this forum since about a week before my braces went on (Late Sept. '04). 2 Weeks ago from today I went in for what I thought was a regular appointment, and my ortho took a look at my teeth and surprised me by saying I was ready to have them off! He asked me if I was concerned with anything and I told him I felt my left lower canine tooth was a little slanted, and the right one was perfectly straight. He made an adjustment with the wire and had me wear 2 elastics. 2 Weeks later(today) I come in thinking I should be getting them off, since he said they were looking good. He then reveals that it will be another 6 weeks or so to get them off. :(

Anyways, needless to say, I was a bit nervous coming into today's appointment, and was just wondering if the actual process of getting the braces off is painful? Any help or reassurance would be greatly appreciated :)

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi,

If you are worried about pain you should be glad he is waiting another six weeks. I just had 5 brackets pulled off and NONE of them hurt except for one, and that was the only tooth that had been moving recently! I didn't even feel any of the others come off. In fact, I have damon3 brackets and I just thought she was opening the brackets to get the archwire off! You may want to read the braces removal stories. There is a link here:

http://archwired.com/Braces_Removal_Stories.htm

Good luck!

Way Too Old For This

#3 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Everytime I go to the ortho he takes a few brackets off and repositions them. I don't even know they are taking them off while they are doing it. The bands come off a little harder but it didn't hurt.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Joanna20

#4 Post by Joanna20 »

Oh come on! You've waited for so long! What's another six weeks?
Cheer up! No it doesn't hurt a lot to come out of braces.
Good Luck,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February