Anyone getting headaches?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joygoss

Anyone getting headaches?

#1 Post by joygoss »

I don't have braces on yet, but I have a distal jet (molar distalizer) and I have had a headache ever since (this is day 4). My teeth don't hurt at all, which surprises me because the spacers were murder, but I can't get rid of this nasty headache. Anyone else have this problem?

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

I don't have a distal jet. But I do get low grade headaches more now than I did before braces. I just think it is a tension thing. I often think that if I could just the right pillow all that would disappear. I have tried all those "neck" pillows on the market and they made it worse.

I hope you feel better very soon.

materialsgirl

#3 Post by materialsgirl »

Yes, I've had a bit of a headache since I got my braces on (yesterday). My actual teeth didn't start hurting till around noon-ish today. It seems like it's all interconnected - if there's pressure on your teeth, it transfers to other parts of your skull, thus the headaches. I hope it will get better with time. I hope you feel better soon too.

jennandtonic

#4 Post by jennandtonic »

Everyone told me I'd get headaches, but I haven't even had one in the month I've had braces on. At first I worried that maybe that meant my teeth weren't moving, now I figure it just affects people in different ways.

kirst1583

#5 Post by kirst1583 »

I sometimes get headaches. I was wondering if they were partly due to the braces.
Where does everyone else get theirs?
Mine are always at the base of my head and down into my neck. Just a real dull and constant ache.
I'd be interested to see if others have the same...

candygrrrl

#6 Post by candygrrrl »

I had a very low grade headache all day yesterday after getting my bottoms on. Didn't take anything for it, slept fine and it's gone this a.m. I seems to me, given how braces work, that slight headaches probably come with the territory. If it gets bad and really persistent, ask your ortho.

joygoss

#7 Post by joygoss »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess it is pretty common, just nothing seems to take the edge off. Granted, they aren't debilitating, but they make me irritable (I'm a redhead, so adding irritable to hot-tempered is not so good for the hubby!) My braces aren't even on yet, so I can imagine what it will be like with them on. It's all for the cause, though, right???!!!

As for the location of the headache, it seems to be more of a sinus headache than anything else. I hope you guys feel better, too.

PnkPrincess024

#8 Post by PnkPrincess024 »

yes i get headaches as well, but not bad ones.
a few days ago whenever anything such as my teeth hit the one of my bottom teeth id get this pain just jump up to that side of my brain. like a shocked buzz. it was sooo annoying but thank god it was only one day

JoeMama

#9 Post by JoeMama »

I get a headache just about every day while working (since getting braces). It stinks and I can tell it's from the tension related to my mouth/teeth. A co-worker has shown me how to rub my neck and head in a couple key spots, which helps a lot. Not having to work would be even better!

I too get pretty grumpy by the end of the day though. Folks have learned to avoid my desk after 3:30. :evil: (insert hissing cat noise)

joygoss

#10 Post by joygoss »

Funny, now that you mention it, no one comes to my desk after 3:30, either.... hmmmmm...

alicia

#11 Post by alicia »

I get headaches too. I thought I was the only one. I have been in treatment for almost a year now and my headaches just started in January after I went to the ortho for a check up. I asked the ortho about it and he told me that that wasn't common.
Metal braces
Top: March 30, 2005
Bottom:May 25, 2005

bajanrose

#12 Post by bajanrose »

Yes I've had a slight headache for the last 2 days since I got braced.
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

smiley

#13 Post by smiley »

I've been braced about 16 months, and still consistently get a headache with each adjustment. It's nothing horrible, but definitely noticable starting a couple hours after the appointment and lasting a couple days. This is more irritating than tooth pain for me. Like someone said, people react differently I think.

somethingvague

#14 Post by somethingvague »

My retainer gave me a headache when I had expanded it...my braces hurt when they've been tightened.