Wax On Wax Off

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

candygrrrl

Wax On Wax Off

#1 Post by candygrrrl »

Anyone get to the point where they no longer needed to use wax? I know I've only been in braces for three days – and only my lower teeth at that – but I simply cannot tolerate the feel of the braces against the inside of my mouth. Wax works wonders, but then again, what a pain, putting it on and taking it off 3-4 times a day. I'd love to get to the point where I've toughened up but don't see that happening anytime soon.

What have been y'all's experiences?

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

When I first had mine on, I used a ton of wax for the first couple weeks. It is normal, and it is OK to use as much as you feel you need. There is no reason to suffer. Make sure that you are well hydrated- I found this important! Also salt water rinses, or Biotene mouth rinse really help sooth.
Since my first days I have had to use it here and there... occassionally I will get a sore spot ( from tooth movement) Or like last night, I sleep on the side of my face more and the hook ( for elastics) dug into my cheek. So I had to dig out my wax this morning and wax it up! :?
The first few weeks are the worse, so hang in there. Honestly, it does get better and your cheeks will toughen up.
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

belmikry

#3 Post by belmikry »

I used wax like it was going out of style for the first week 1/2, I couldn't live without it for a minute my mouth would be so sore- but eventually you go to reapply after brushing and go "hmmm- it wasn't sore while I brushed- maybe i'll wait on applying-" and thus I did, eventually it went from hours to day, and now- I haven't used it in two weeks! :) [had them since feb 30]

just remember to use warm salt water rinses- they do wonders for the inside of your mouth- toughens them up and helps keep them sore-free :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

CelestialVoices

#4 Post by CelestialVoices »

I haven't used any wax at all, but my first couple weeks were very painful.

Chocoholic

#5 Post by Chocoholic »

It's gets a lot easier once your mouth toughens up, I haven't used wax for months, I only use it now when I get the odd sore after an adjustment.

materialsgirl

#6 Post by materialsgirl »

I've been in braces for 3 days too, and I have also been using a lot of wax. Like others have said, warm salt-water rinses help immensely. I am already starting to reduce the amount of wax I use. So I guess the good news is, it does get better. :)

OneTime

#7 Post by OneTime »

Since braced, I have only used wax once. I been trying to use it but either forget it on the table or just never thought about it.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

I used wax maybe 4-5 times but only AFTER the wire had completely cut my cheeks and I was bleeding...stupid I know. Right now, my wire is cutting my cheek once again and the wire actually gets stuck in my skin...yet I don't put wax. My ortho when he sees my cheek is going to give me a lecture on using wax!! lol I just don't want to get used to the wax....and my 2nd adjustment is on monday so I just try to talk as little as possible so that the wire doesn't get stuck in my cheek :?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Anticipator

#9 Post by Anticipator »

I think that I may have had a backwards experience in terms of wax use. When I first got my braces on I had minimal to no irritation.

In the last week or two I've found myself dipping into the wax fairly regularly, however.

This is one of the bigger surprises I've found in the braces game, I assumed that all the irritation would be in the initial adjustment period and after that you were free from cuts and such. I did not expect things to randomly become sore.
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

candygrrrl

#10 Post by candygrrrl »

The warm water salt rinses do help, I've noticed. And it's nice to hear that many of you eventually did "toughen" up. I'm looking forward to that day!

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hang in there. I guess I am unique. It took me about a month to be able to stop using the wax. Sometimes I still feel like I need it.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Pugugliez

#12 Post by Pugugliez »

I got got braces two days ago, and have yet to use the wax. Hopefully I'm getting really lucky and it doesn't get any worse than it is.

wearetheborg

#13 Post by wearetheborg »

It took me about two weeks to get out off the wax on wax off routine. Now I have calluses built up inside my mouth, anyone else feel them ? Run run a finger inside the cheeks :GapToothed:
Salt water rinse do help in the meantime

Flora2006

#14 Post by Flora2006 »

wearetheborg wrote:It took me about two weeks to get out off the wax on wax off routine. Now I have calluses built up inside my mouth, anyone else feel them ? Run run a finger inside the cheeks :GapToothed:
Salt water rinse do help in the meantime
I don't have calluses but I have TONS of irritation and scratches and cuts. My ortho was surprised at my first adjustment :? that I never came to see him to have him cut the wire...and I'm scared of what he'll tell me tomorrow because I now have even more irritation. I really am going to start rinsing with salt water again. :?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

CelestialVoices

#15 Post by CelestialVoices »

I don't know about calluses exactly, but I do feel some thicker spots on the inside of my cheeks.