question that's probably never been asked about powerchains!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

venusasaboy

question that's probably never been asked about powerchains!

#1 Post by venusasaboy »

i got my powerchain on in feburary- the 17th or something i think. i got it to close up this big ugly gap i had between my front teeth and just a couple tiny tiny gaps. i think it makes my teeth look way straighter and since i've got clear braces, it covers the wire and makes it barely look like i have braces at all! that said, i love this powerchain haha. i am hoping they leave it on for at least a couple more months. how long do people usually wear them for? i really don't want to get it off at my appointment coming up, but all the gaps are already gone. this is probably strange for somebody to actually WANT to keep it on. does this mean i'm close to getting my braces off at all on the top? since they're already fixing the details??
I'm going to have braces forever :[

bckydgardnr

#2 Post by bckydgardnr »

I started with powerchains last summer, and I agree they close everything up and make your teeth look great. It is now March, and I still have powerchains. At each adjustment the ortho shifts them to close another gap that was created by closing the previous gap...and so on and so on. Feels like it will never end. I go back Tuesday...and I am sure they will put on another powerchain.

Good thing you like them, you will have them for awhile! :D

Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

kirst1583

#3 Post by kirst1583 »

I've had powerchains pretty much since the beginning. I'm not sure when exactly but probably only a couple of mths into treatment and I still have them. So that's been at least 2 yrs.
Every case would be different of course, but I'd assume you will prob have them a bit longer at least!

hannah164

#4 Post by hannah164 »

For the first couple of appts in the beginnning, I had a powerchain across my two front teeth to close a huge gap! After it pretty much closed they took it off! :?

After getting lower braces, I had powerchains for about 4 months to close extraction gaps! Then, this last adjustment, he wanted just normal ligs on the lowers. He gave me a new humongo wire which is helping to close the gaps to the side of the extraction gaps created by the powerchains! :? Confusing, I know! :roll: For me the powerchains on the bottom actually created more gaps than closed! :x

Good luck!

~Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment: February 28, 2006 where they gave me a new bottom wire and attached my impacted canine, newly bracketed, to the wire! OUCH!

Leslie022

#5 Post by Leslie022 »

I want a powerchain to close the gap between my front teeth! Maybe at my adjustment in 9 days... *cross your fingers*
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Tin Man

#6 Post by Tin Man »

I've had powerchains for a year now on my upper arch and two months on my lower arch. I was told at my next adjustment I'd be getting my "finishing wires" which got me all excited...until I heard that it's still going to be another 6-8 months. So much for a braces free summer.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

PnkPrincess024

#7 Post by PnkPrincess024 »

about 3rd month into treatment i got a powerchain on my uppers, but it was only just for one month, then my orth just put the regular bands on again except for the past 2 months ive had the same thick wire (if someone can explain what is the purpose of the thick wire is thanks). im just waiting till he puts the powerchain of my bottom, which ive only had since late january, because my lower has soooo many gaps, plus it seems as though the left side teeth are longer than the right side. to make it even is that what the rubber bands are for??? my ortho said something at my last appt about i will need rubber bands but he didnt say when. does it usualy go with closing gaps and then using the rubber bands or what???

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

I wore my powerchains from the time I had my extractions until the end of my treatment, about 18 months.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!