small gap

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jay

small gap

#1 Post by jay »

well ive been in braces now coming on a year.

The thing is since day one ive always had this small gap between
my top front teeth,the bottom of my top front teeth sit together where as the top part are spaced out so i kinda have this V shaped gap in my front teeth(if this makes sense).

My ortho is talking about taking my braces off soon and has not said any thing about this gap, should i say anything about it or am i just being paranoid. :?

ingyandbert

#2 Post by ingyandbert »

Anytime you have a question, you need to ask your ortho. Just speak up; don't be shy! You're a partner in your own treatment, after all.

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I agree even though I don't do it myself lol. Ask your questions. Any concerns that you have, you need to let him/her know...especially when your debanding is coming up.

Good luck :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ItsGavinC

Re: small gap

#4 Post by ItsGavinC »

jay wrote:well ive been in braces now coming on a year.

The thing is since day one ive always had this small gap between
my top front teeth,the bottom of my top front teeth sit together where as the top part are spaced out so i kinda have this V shaped gap in my front teeth(if this makes sense).
That "gap" may actually be normal. The sides of your top front teeth (the two sides that touch together) are straight, whereas that straightness disappears and becomes rounded as you move apically towards the gums.

Be sure to mention it if it bothers you though!

Clo

#5 Post by Clo »

Hi Jay,

no, after some thorough investigation, it seems you are not paranoid ...
(yet).
Just kidding ....
Can't you place a pic here ?
There could be 2 issues here :

Or your center teeth are not straight. They are 'pointing' towards each
other. The left one slants a bit to the right and vice versa for the right
one. A bit like the V shape, but then for both teeth. In that case, they
should be straightened more and then shifted towards each other.

Or only the space has this V form. Because normally teeth are not as
wide at the gum area. That space can be reduced by shaving off a bit of
both teeth where they touch each other. Then a powerchain can bring
them closer together.

Anyway, do mention it when you see your ortho. You're the 'boss' in
this braces journey ...

Marzipan

#6 Post by Marzipan »

This sounds like the dreaded black triangles. Apparently it can be common when you have orthodonture, especially if you are older, because your gums are less elastic and start shrinking. So the narrower parts of the teeth (as you get towards the roots) start to show more.

I am not too concerned in my case because even if that occurs on my lower teeth, they don't show much when I smile. Also I've read that sometimes the gums have been stressed by the whole process so that when the braces come off, eventually they fill in the black triangles again.

jay

#7 Post by jay »

Thanks for the replys

Clo will try and post some pics

Before my braces went on the top front teeth did over lap each other at one stage but they have come out now.

But even then i had this small gap which i still have now

mtbrncofn

#8 Post by mtbrncofn »

I just want to reiterate, ask your ortho about any and all of it. I always thought he checked everything, but they are human and they do overlook things.

I have braces to close all my gaps. I went in for my last adjustment and I have been watching this one significant sized gap on my lower right. I hadn't had a new wire or anything but new ligs put on for 5 months. I kept thinking, maybe he's doing something else with it.

I heard him say to the assistant that I was almost done. Wahoooo! This was after he'd checked everything out, made me bite down, etc. So the assistant is showing me the new configuration for my elastics and I finally ask her what is up with that gap? She asks him. He says, " Oh wow, good thing you caught that." He had never even noticed it after all these months! He took care of it.

So definitely voice any concerns you have because they make be overlooking something just like my ortho did.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

jay

#9 Post by jay »

Well managed to take a pic,looking at it i think my top front teeth dont come down straight and that they slant some what inwards, ive all so noticed a gap between my front teeth and tooth next to it.

So is my ortho right in saying im finished and she will take them off in about a 6-8weeks