Teeth Grinding.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Avion19

Teeth Grinding.

#1 Post by Avion19 »

I realized that I've been grinding my teeth at night (occasionally) since I got braced. I never used to grind my teeth. Sometimes I wake up and there are ligs missing so I have to put them in. I'm worried that it'll slow my progress. Should I be concerned?

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

I think I've read on here that suddend grinding of the teeth can be associated with changes in your bite. I could be mistaken though.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I think I started grinding at night as well. I actually chipped a tooth!! I definitely hope to bring this up tomorrow when I see my ortho.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

I am a grinder and I read somewhere too that it increases with braces. That is a good question as to whether or not it slows things down. I should ask my ortho, although I doubt there is anything he can do about it. That is probably why I haven't asked him. It seems like lately I haven't been grinding/clenching but it could just be that I am sleeping well these days and haven't noticed.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

Wow, your ligs are missing? That's crazy! Probably something you should mention to your ortho.

I have been a grinder all my life, and contrary to what jcdamon heard, my ortho told me that grinders stop a lot of the time while they are braced. Didn't work that way for me. It makes the grinding sound much worse when you have braces on and you hit one of those brackets finally. I've woken myself up many times since I've had the braces thinking I just really did some damage to a tooth. I've been lucky so far and haven't done anything worse than I've done all my life.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

brat 2

#6 Post by brat 2 »

I have noticed that I clench my teeth at night since I had my braces put on. I will wake up with my teeth hurting because I am clenching them so hard. I also believe I read on a previous post that alot of people start grinding or clenching thier teeth when they get braces put on.
upper metal braces applied November 8th, 2005
lower metal braces applied February 23rd, 2006

niknikc

#7 Post by niknikc »

Why does this happen? I never clenched/grinded before and now since I've braces I wake up occasionally clenching really hard. This has not helped the soreness at all and I am wondering if I will even continue it after I get them off in a couple of years...
"Blessed are the peacekeepers for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9

Top Braces: 9-26-06
Bottom Braces: 11-29-06

bckydgardnr

#8 Post by bckydgardnr »

Niknikc
I think you should say something to your ortho. I have always be a grinder. Before braces I wore a night guard because I had cracked a tooth from constant grinding. It is worse with braces and often find myself during the day grinding.
I had an extraction at the beginning of my braces journey and my ortho has been trying to close, finally about a month ago he asked if I grind...that is the reason the gap won't close because when I grind I am pushing the gap open. I have had a bite plate for about 4 weeks and it helps...
At you next adjustment, you may want to mention it.
Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

sjsarre

#9 Post by sjsarre »

I suffered from grinding a few months back. I've never had grinding problems before, but my ortho advised it was because my bite had changed and my "brain" wasn't used to the position that it had been in for so many years.. And, my bite was also off quite badly at one stage.

Luckily its back to normal again for the time being and I have stopped grinding

Ravishing

#10 Post by Ravishing »

I've become a night clencher. It started when I got my spacers and it was really bad. I called my ortho and they weren't concerned about it. They said that most adults have this problem with spacers. I'm still doing it with braces but to a lesser extent. I plan on bringing it up at my frist adjustment.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

iBorg

#11 Post by iBorg »

Having damaged most of my teeth by grinding (no kidding), my ortho made me a bite plate to sleep in. Problem solved. When I get my bottoms I anticipate I'll have a bite plate 24/7.
One thing she told me at the consult, which was a deciding factor, was that while I'll probably still grind after braces, the improved alignment should reduce any future damage.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

BreeZyCheeZy

#12 Post by BreeZyCheeZy »

I noticed that my teeth ached in the morning mostly, but then got better as the day went on. I later realized it was because I was clenching my teeth at night, and even sometimes durign the day when i wasn't paying attention. I did my best to try and end that. I was never a teeth grinder or clencher before I got braces.
I'm 3 months in and I believe I've stopped altogether..dont know how I did it but I did. :)

niknikc

#13 Post by niknikc »

I've become a night clencher. It started when I got my spacers and it was really bad. I called my ortho and they weren't concerned about it. They said that most adults have this problem with spacers. I'm still doing it with braces but to a lesser extent. I plan on bringing it up at my frist adjustment.
This is exactly what I've been going thru, good to know I'm not the only one that has been dealing with it. I'll mention to my ortho when I go back and see what she says. Thanks you guys for replying!
"Blessed are the peacekeepers for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9

Top Braces: 9-26-06
Bottom Braces: 11-29-06