How long did it take for your extraction gaps to close?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Harpua

How long did it take for your extraction gaps to close?

#1 Post by Harpua »

I have 4 extractions (2nd bicuspids) and I've got the first bicuspids hooked to powerchains. I've only been in braces for 2wks. I can tell they are moving, but very slowly. I'm just curious how long it has taken others for their extraction gaps to close. This is of particular importance to me because I'm told that this is when I'll be able to lose this horrible TPA.

Joanna20

#2 Post by Joanna20 »

I think it takes about 4/5 months untill they're pretty much closed. I'm not 100% sure thought 'cause I haven't had any extractions. Other's will give u a more accurate answer!
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Aine

#3 Post by Aine »

I got 2 top teeth extracted in August due to crowding. Before trying to close the gaps, my ortho had to get several other teeth into position first. I got powerchains on in November and springs were added after X-mas. My gaps are now completely closed and it is impossible to detect that I had any extractions!

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

I had 4 second premolars extracted in september and i still have my extraction gaps they havent closed that much which really gets to me cus its hard to eat sometimes. Im now wearing elastics to start closing my gaps although progress is slow. So its been about 6 months and i still have my gaps.

Harpua

Springs eh

#5 Post by Harpua »

Springs are what I'm gonna beg for - I got powerchains on the first day. Maybe they'll give me a couple of springs in a month or two. I'd love to get these closed up so I can get the TPA out and eat in public again! This is so embarrasing. I usually go to a bunch of conferences and I've been trying to skip everything I can because they serve banquet style meals and in the evenings everyone goes out to eat. I'll have to hide in my room and spend 3 times my per diem on room service so I don't starve. This sucks.

kirst1583

#6 Post by kirst1583 »

hmm.. maybe you don't want to hear from me, but I figured i'd best share my experiences with extraction gaps.
I had 4 extractions and have had power chains since pretty much the beginning of treatment.
They took about 2 and 1/2 yrs to close up!
I should have just under 6mths left of treatment now (I was meant to be done within 2 yrs but I think closing those gaps is what held me up)
Hopefully my teeth were just extremely slow though.
Good luck - just remember, everyone progresses at different rates! :wink:

mia_cro

#7 Post by mia_cro »

I do not have any powerchains or elastics to close the gaps cause I guess I have to get into right position one incisor before that. (my conclusion based on your posts-I noticed some ppl got the powerchains right away and others later)
It's been a month now and I see no progress at all. My 1st adjustment will be april 7th and I guess I will get the powerchains only if the incisor gets perfectly aligned.
So,if a tooth won't move and is aligning really slowly,I bet it will take a lot of time to close the gaps as well...or am I wrong?

Harpua

Thanks for your responses

#8 Post by Harpua »

With my crowding, the gaps will have to close to some degree to even make room for my teeth to straighten. I'm probably being a little bit impatient, but I have very little movement so far (its only been 2 1/2 weeks), but when I floss, I can tell that there is a lot more room between my 2 teeth in front of each extraction. I'm really only concerned with my top gaps closing quickly so the appliance can come out. My understanding is that the first priority for me is to close the gaps which will make the room for my very croweded front incisors on top. I'm hoping, and plan to request, that they will be pretty aggressive in moving them back. I haven't had really any soreness in my teeth for the last week or so, that makes me feel like nothing is happening, but then again, it seems to make since that I would have tenderness as they loosen and then it will go away as they settle into the new position and then they will loosen up again to scoot a bit more. Does this make since? Right now though, I feel like I have so much crowding that they will never straighten out as they are all pinned against eachother. I think I need stronger chains or some more heavy duty spring things or something. I just want to be sure that if they are taking it slow that it is for best overall health and not for my 'comfort'. I can take whatever pain I have to take if it means progress!:)

Whirliebird

#9 Post by Whirliebird »

Well for me its been almost 12 months and i can see light at the end of the tunnel.

On March 15th i have been braced for 12 months, and my gap on one side closed at the end of January, AND...... the other gap on the other side is almost there...... :D every day i check with my tongue to see if its closed yet, today i still have a small gap :( . All being well at my next check up at the end of the month i will have my TPA removed :D I am keeping everything crossed for that one...... he knows i've had enough of that thing in my mouth.

I must say the last 12 months have gone very quickly, and it takes as long as it takes, waiting is all we can do.
Damon 3's top and bottom

littleshaddies

#10 Post by littleshaddies »

Do not despair!!!
I have been in braces over 5 months. 4 Gaps to close. The bottom kind of speeded and one of them has about 1 mm left and the other 3mm. I tought the top were not moving at all but then the last 6 weeks they did close half way, maybe more. Powerchains were on since day one but I think what helped big time for the top is the newest archwire. Ortho thinks another 8 weeks or so and I will have the gaps closed and be on finishing wires. Hurray!!! But that with my new elastics to close my bite next is going to take it's time to....All and all, looking at 14 months ish
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

somethingvague

#11 Post by somethingvague »

i've had braces about 5 months and my gaps aren't fully closed, but they were big.