oh my god, horrible news and good news at today's adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aznfayeth

oh my god, horrible news and good news at today's adjustment

#1 Post by aznfayeth »

Ok, I think everybody here has heard my complaints about my flaring teeth. At today's adjustment, I didnt even have to say anything, the ortho took one look at my teeth and told me that I would need to get SURGERY in order to have perfect non-flaring teeth. He said that I have a class III malocclusion which means that since my lower jaw is in the right position, if I want my upper teeth to be completely straight, I would have an underbite!!! Why didnt he tell me this at the consultation? I wouldnt have gotten braces if I had known that.

Since I looked so crushed, he decided to shave all my lower teeth(didnt hurt at all) to pull my lower arch in so that my upper teeth have room to move in and not look as flared. This is my longest adjustment ever(45 minutes!) and I had an awesome assistant who did all of the work and explained everything to me(they typically say nothing to us). Good news is that I will be done in september instead of december! Also no elastics this time because they want my gaps to close first(I miss those buggers hehe).

What are those 2 metal loops for?

I have a powerchain on my lower teeth to close the gaps.
Image[/img]
clarity top braces 12/5/04, debanded 1/3/07
bottom braces 4/17/05, debanded 11/26/06
hawley retainer for uppers,
bonded lower retainer

Clo

#2 Post by Clo »

hi,

indeed, your teeth look awesome !
I had IPR or 'shaving' too on my lowers. And on my uppers too actually.
I know that with the gained space, they will be able to bring those lowers
a bit more inwards. So they will indeed be able to unflare your upper teeth.
In fact, they are already doing just that. Those loops are just for that. To
retract your four front teeth. The loops act as a spring that make it
possible to move back your 4 uppers inwards. So, as we speak, the
process is going on !

Good luck !

chinadoll

Class 3

#3 Post by chinadoll »

Hi aznfayeth.

Wow, I can't believe your ortho didn't mention your Class 3 bite until now! That seems surprising. Do you think you'll consider surgery?

However, it's great that you'll be done earlier...how exciting. Nice teeth too!
Class II Malocclusion (Anterior Open Bite & Mild Crowding)
6 ceramic uppers, the rest metal

fins

#4 Post by fins »

I think your teeth look very nice. Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

aznfayeth

#5 Post by aznfayeth »

my bite has been feeling so off since monday's adjustment? Do you think it's because the lower arch is being pulled in by the powerchain? The metal loops didnt seem to do much...
clarity top braces 12/5/04, debanded 1/3/07
bottom braces 4/17/05, debanded 11/26/06
hawley retainer for uppers,
bonded lower retainer

rockexrolloh

#6 Post by rockexrolloh »

So are the spaces on the bottom from when he shaved your teeth? My ortho told me my top teeth aren't as wide as my bottom teeth so he will either have to space the top teeth or shave the bottom. I'm all for shaving the bottom but I am just wondering what to expect.

bracesmom

#7 Post by bracesmom »

aznfayeth, I think your teeth look really nice! I know it matters most what you think...