Help! quick! 2 different ortho consults!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dogbreath

Help! quick! 2 different ortho consults!

#1 Post by dogbreath »

hi everyone,
i just joined here and hope you can help me out. i'm 39 and need braces, mostly to correct an underbite (my top teeth need to come out over my lower jaw and my lower jaw needs to come back)...teeth straight, with some spaces.

here's the rub: the first ortho said "Do damon-3's on top & bottom" 16 months, $5800.

second ortho consult: Do ceramic on top, traditional metal on bottom. 16 months, $6200. (i managed to get the price down to $5800 to match the first ortho consult as my daughter also needs ortho treatment and i have to keep costs down!)

WHAT to do? now that the cost is the same, which are better?

I appreciate your answers/advice in advance!

dogbreath (my breath is really fresh & minty...) :roll:
*hey!*

dogbreath

2 different ortho consults

#2 Post by dogbreath »

hi there meryaten,

I like your advice in your name and in your post, thank you very much...basically, i can't tell which is more experienced (possibly the first) they're mostly equal....they both rate high on dr. oogle (don't know how reliable that is) and the locations would both work for me.

my daughter will probably be going to a friend of ours...(yeah, that's complicated)...he's good but not for me...(long story) and she's only 6 so i THINK i'll be having her go with him..(it's her friend's daddy).

i guess i'm focused on the hardwire rather than the skill...d& on't know how to evaluate that except asking how long they've each been in business...(first one is in his families business (him & his dad) for 23 years and the 2nd guy i think for 17 years...the first one has more bells & whistles in the office, better parking, better mailing and provided photos and a rough treatment plan during the initial eval...the 2nd one sat patiently and calmly with me and basically said the same things....

uuugg....i sometimes don't like choices...

thanks for your relpy once again.

dogbreath
*hey!*

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Choose the one you feel confortable with. It makes such a huge difference when the ortho you have is one who is nice and compassionate and you feel confortable with. My ortho is 29 and very new in the business...but I completely trust him and he is so incredibly nice that I wouldn't even have gone with someone else.

Which one made the best impression?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

Assuming you like both ortho offices well enough, I'd go with the Damons because they're really comfortable and you're going to have to wear them for a long time. JHMO.

Leslie022

#5 Post by Leslie022 »

Everyone has had pretty good advice. I am biased toward the Damon 3's, however. I've had them on a little over a month and a half. They are extremely comfortable! With the exception of the first few days of adjustment, I have had NO pain and NO discomfort.

Good luck with your decision!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

dogbreath

thanks for advice !

#6 Post by dogbreath »

hi guys and gals,
thanks for all of your advice...so far, people say i should go with whom i'm most comfortable... (both of them are equal!)....but leaning to first....

here's my new question: the damon's are recommended by you folks bec. they're more comfortable (great!) and take a shorter amount of TIME>

but.....both ortho's gave me the same treatment time, 16 months.

time to call them each and raise some questions.

keep your views coming, it'll really help me make a decision.....(such a difficult thing to do being a libra...lol)

many thanks,
doggiebreath
=-= :wink:
*hey!*

BracesAt42

Many factors to consider

#7 Post by BracesAt42 »

First, congratulations on taking the plunge to get braced. As you can see from my handle, I was 42 when I got my braces. Very happy I did it!

The treatment time estimates are just that; my original estimate was 18 months, and I ended up with a 22 month timeframe. After having braces for 18 months, it was not a big deal to me to have them an additional 4 months. My ortho wanted more time for better results, and I appreciated it. IMO, once you are braced and assuming you just go along with your life, the time will fly!

I had Damon 2's (top and bottom arches) and loved them! They were so comfortable and I had practically no pain the entire time. The only discomfort was a few times when a bracket poked my lips or cheeks. Very minor.

For me, Damon 2's were great since I had appts only every 8 weeks, not every 4 like with traditional braces. That was huge fore me, since I am a very busy professional. And, the appts were very quick. From my perspective, it appears that the Damons were very easy to work on for the ortho--just open the doors, pop out the archwire, adjust the archwire, pop it back in, close the doors. I highly recommend the Damon system type braces (now they have Damon 3's).

Best wishes on your decision and journey!

Go for it, and report back on how it is going!

:D :D :D
Yep, Braces at Age 42!
Damon 2's
Braces On: 9-18-2003
Braces Off: 7-13-2005

Leslie022

#8 Post by Leslie022 »

The nice thing about Damon's and other <b>self-ligating</b> brackets is that a low, constant force is being applied to the brackets. This is what causes less pain and more comfort. I believe this may also be why Damon's sometimes work faster than other brackets.

Check out this page on the Archwired website. Read the section on <b>Ceramics</b> and the section of <b>Self-Ligating</b> brackets to compare the two.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

ingyandbert

#9 Post by ingyandbert »

If you like both orthos and the treatment time is the same, I'd still come out on the side of the Damons because they're comfortable. You might also ask the orthos about what follow up would be involved with the different brace systems. Would you need head gear with one system and not the other? Or an expander? With my Damons, I've been told I won't need either an expander nor headgear but that wouldn't necessarily be the case with other metal braces. Also, are they both recommending the same things in terms of extractions? Again, if I had gone with traditional metal braces I would have needed extractions but my ortho said with Damons that could be avoided.

belmikry

#10 Post by belmikry »

this has to be one of the hardest and most discussed question in the forum: ceramics or Damons? [i should really say self ligating..]

first off: I'd say go with the doctor you feel comfortable with- now you say theey are both the same, so that rules that portion out... how about the staff? the assistants do alot of work with you during appointments as well, so if you feel more comfortable with one's atmosphere than the other, its a way to look at it

as for the constant ceramic vs damon battle- do what you believe is right. I have Damon's, and I love them- but I aslo sometimes wish I had ceramics- especially in pictures [anyone have the flash reflect off them? ieee...] but really, I would say its your mouth- go with what you research and feel right about.

1] research what you are getting into. Everyone's mouth is different, so opinions vary- check out information from third party sources to decide.

2] does the metal bother you [allergies, asthetic reasons etc]- some people want ceramics because they are hardly noticable unless you look for them from a distance- ceramics also use elastics, where self ligating braces don't, is that another factor?

eventually you will have to make a decision- and our opinions can help, but shouldn't answer the question for you- both systems work, and regardless of your decision, you will feel fantastic with your new smile in the end- it's all about the ortho's talent, your teeth, and essentially your outlook on the situation- hope that helps :)
2]
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

joeb1

#11 Post by joeb1 »

Easy choice...go with the damons. I've had both and the Damons are way more comfortable in terms on adjusting. Only once did I ever have pain from a new wire/adjustment.

The other big benefit is that the time between adjustments is longer.

dogbreath

decisions, decisions....

#12 Post by dogbreath »

hi all,
thank you all SO MUCH for your input...(especially the older folks~bec. i'm going to be the big 40 in Oct.)....y i k e s....

anyway, i've decided to go with ceramic on top, traditional heavy metal on bottom... why?

well, bec. i really researched and found this : the second ortho is really, really....cute.

how's that for pertinent decision making skills?!

well, only half-way kidding...this ortho is highly-skilled, recommended by his peers, and i just like him more....just a personal thing...the first was nice too, lovely office, actually even more fancy but i just like the second more...

so, i got the impressions and tomorrow i'm getting full-frontal photos to go with my full metal jacket mouth (except the first 6 uppers in ceramic).

i think i probably would of liked the damons more but for some reason, i TRUST the 2nd Ortho more...and like i said, he's way more attractive....

:oops: :lol:

thanks alot for ALL your help..i'll keep posting as i go thru the process so you all can keep on helping me with all your words of wisdom!

doggiebreath....
*hey!*

Annette

In my opinion, Damons are better

#13 Post by Annette »

Hi there
Personally I think Damon 3's are better. Ive had them on since July 2005 and they are extremely comfortable, (after the initial shock).
Also, for the lengt of time which i've had them on, I have seen a tremendous change in the position of my teeth.
16 months is good timing! I'm due to get mine off after 18 months.
Good luck.
BRACED ON 26/07/05 WITH DAMON 3's FOR 18 MONTHS

ingyandbert

#14 Post by ingyandbert »

You should tell the cute ortho you'll go with him IF he puts Damons on your lower. I bet if you ask, he'll do it.

Flora2006

#15 Post by Flora2006 »

KK wrote:My ortho is also cute ... plus he has a great personality and is very skilled at what he does! Cute is definitely a bonus dogbreath :!: :banana:

My dentist and ortho are both 29. So they are very close to my age. They are both very handsom and good looking so I agree, it does help! lol

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006