elastics question? pics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chrisd

elastics question? pics

#1 Post by chrisd »

alright, i have been wearing my elastics 24/7 for about 3 weeks with really no discomfort for the first 2 1/2. over the past few days though i my whole top and bottom arch has been a bit sore, and the one upper tooth that the elastic attaches to is especially sore.
does it seem normal for the pain to be that delayed, and is it ok that the one tooth is extra sore?

i have only been braced for a little over a month and really have not had much discomfort, so i guess iam just not sure what normal is yet.

thanks for any advice
chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

adollface

#2 Post by adollface »

I've been wearing elastics for a couple of months now and I know what you are talking about. Ever once is a while one of the teeth that the elastics are hooked on will just start hurting. The way I think of is that that tooth is moving so pain is a good thing. I usually goes away after a couple of days but sometimes will hang on for a week.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04

kirst1583

#3 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi Chris,
I'd say the delay in pain would be different to what many people experience (me included).. but that it is normal all the same.
Maybe you only had a real slow and small type of movement at first and now more is happening!
That would explain why there is the pain delay.
Just an idea anyway.. but I'd assume what you are experiencing is normal and unless the pain continues for a real long time I wouldn't worry!
Good luck. Hope you see lots more progress :thumbsup:

rsprouse

#4 Post by rsprouse »

Hi Chris,

Perfectly normal, but not common. The oral cavity is very sensitive to small changes. You are putting a lot of force onto an anchor point. You are probably having some interference from the bands shifting your teeth which is causing the pain. No worries, it will subside in a couple days.

On another note, where does it look like your midline is going to line up? In the middle of your mandibular central? Or is the arch length biased towards one side? Looking good, keep up the good work.

Best,
Rory

chrisd

#5 Post by chrisd »

thanks for the replys. most of the pain localized to that tooth has gone away, or decreased to the same pressure sensation as the others.

i welcome the pressure, tells me that these elastics are doing something. well something other than being stylish ;-) was just strange who i had like no pain for the first two weeks.

as for my midlines, only time will tell where they will end up. i do have an arch lenght discrepency ( top longer on the right with midline to the left, and bottom longer on the left with midline off to the right).

my suspicion is that they wil both improve some and end up still a bit off. each is off by about 2 mm now.

thanks, chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

BraceFace12

#6 Post by BraceFace12 »

I just got elastics about a week ago and I haven't had any noticeable pain at all. Hopefully they will start to hurt so that I know they are working.
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.