How Do You View Your Role in Your Treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ingyandbert

How Do You View Your Role in Your Treatment?

#1 Post by ingyandbert »

This issue was touched on in another topic and after I replied I started to wonder how other patients view their role in their treatment. Not just orthodontic treatment, but all medical care. Do you consider yourself part of a team along with your practitioners? Or do you leave everything to them? Do you ask for details of upcoming procedures or would you rather not know? Do you question their recommendations or trust that they know best?

I ALWAYS ask questions of my medical/dental providers and ask them to tell me in detail what is going to occur. The reason many of them don't offer up the details without being asked is because some patients are squeamish and don't want to know. I'm just the opposite; I want to know everything. Once they realize that, they are happy to share information. My approach to my medical/dental care is that as a patient I am an equal partner with the practitioners and have a right to know the details of my treatment and to voice my opinion or feelings on what is going to happen.

I definitely feel that I get better care by being more involved in my treatment than if I simply rolled over and let them do whatever. There have been times when my questions have led my practitioners to think further about some issue and come to a better conclusion or solution than they had before I questioned it. My advice is don't just be a body in a chair; involve yourself in your treatment.

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I pretty much let my dentist and ortho do whatever they need to do...I do ask for a little bit of information but I never ask for more than just general info.

Both of them are more than happy to answer all my questions...at the end they always ask me if I'm sure that I don't have any questions...but I just rather not know the details. I also do a lot of research on my own so if my dentist says I need my wisdom teeth removed, I might not ask him all the stuff he needs to do but I will do a lot of research on my own and than just ask him a few questions...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

Regarding medical treatment - I MANAGE my own health and stay very involved with Doctors and decisions and treatments. Regarding Ortho, I don't take a less active role since it doesn't affect my health in general. I do ask questions though.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

nimo

#4 Post by nimo »

If I have to get a procedure done, then I research it as much as possible myself before going in. I get lightheaded at the thought of blood, but the more I know when I go in for a procedure, the less I have to keep my eyes open to figure out what's going on.
That being said, I always let the doctor explain themselves before asking questions. Sometimes what I've researched has had conflicting information from different sources, or it's not something that actually pertains to me. I just hate being surprised at the dentist/doctor. I'm usually a bundle of unhappy nerves anyway, so anything even mildly alarming will usually make me start bawling. I'd rather at least have a slight clue about what's coming up.
With that being said, I'm about to leave for my consult with the oral surgeon for my upcoming wisdom tooth/premolar extraction. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

joeb1

#5 Post by joeb1 »

The first time I had braces in high school I asked zero question and just let the process happen. Probably becuase I didnt know any better.

This time around I was very active in my treatment. And because I always knew the goal of each visit I could provide feedback. In many cases my feedback alterted the course of treatment and I think sped up the process.

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

KK wrote:I ask questions, but I must admit I often seem to be asking in reverse ... if this makes any sense. My questions regularly refer back to what was done at the previous appointment ... as I've had time to think about it and wonder :?:
lol I do the exact same thing :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

candygrrrl

#7 Post by candygrrrl »

I'm usually very involved with whatever's going on with me medically, so I'm pretty mad at myself for having dropped the ball on my ortho treatment. What I should have done was find this forum and done all my research back when I started the consultation process last fall. But I think I was in a state of shocked denial, coupled with the fact that I was really busy with work. Anyway, although I did get three opinions, only one of them was in depth (the ortho I ended up choosing). Had I been better prepared, however, I would have known more about the different treatment options and pushed the other two docs for more info. Since I didn't, this is the route I'm taking, for better or worse, and am therefore finding myself asking lots of questions during my weekly appointments. Luckly, the ortho seems to have run into this before and is being very patient with me.