Braces, pictures and learning how to smile again!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

belmikry

Braces, pictures and learning how to smile again!

#1 Post by belmikry »

Have you noticed that your once oh-so-trained smile you used previously to hide your teeth doesn't work anymore? I have a tendancey to now smile my "photo smile" and instead look something I like to call the snotty sour puss face:
Behold~ the power of braces grabbing your upper lip, making your face look, well- awful while smiling!

behold my all too familiar "photo smile" before braces:
note: sorry about the startling costume, it was halloween- I was a 30's male suit dancer if I recall... o_o

I didn't realize this was happening! I'm so used to my trained smile, that I don't notic it anymore, so these pictures are very startling :lol:
but note- obviously with my new gear, my lips don't fit overtop of my braces properly, making this trained habitual smile of mine look- well, ridiculous. Anyone else notice something like that happening? Guess this means learning a new photo smile :roll:

alas, to conclude my story- I've decided to bite the bullet, and smile with my new fashionable appliance! behold the new photo smile for 2006 ;)

[not bad huh? anyone notice how hard it is to take a portrait shot with braces and a flash? it's like reflectors in your mouth :? ]
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

ABI

#2 Post by ABI »

The last smile is definately the best! Beautiful!

Good luck and keep us posted!

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

I agree, that last shot is a winner! :thumbsup:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

The last picture I agree with everyone else: it's really nice. Where are you in that pic? I love the scenery!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

belmikry

#5 Post by belmikry »

thanks for the comments guys! yeah, this is going to be hard- I'm so used to my old smile that I don't notice when I do it- so I can only imagine how I look while talking and smiling in conversations o_0...

:shock:

flora2006:
I went on a trip with my best friend to the Arches in Utah- it was breathtaking! :) alot of nice weather and rock climbing- I throughoutly suggest checking them out one day :)

KK: don't I know it- I wondering if I should just smile all of the time, I know I have a tendancey to make faces, play with my upper lip etc, so I can only imagine how funny I look sometimes without noticing it! :lol: meh, what can you do? show off them flashy smiles I guess ;)

Here's a snapshot of what your missing! it's phenomenial, I'm telling you :)
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

belmikry

#6 Post by belmikry »

here's a link KK- i know, the scenary is confusing, because the drive there is in a flat high desert, then poof! canyons and sedimentary deposits, with beautiful snow capped mountains in the distance :) if you ever get here I'd definately tell you to put it on your tour list ;)

The Arches NAtional Park- Utah

also, I agree- there will be more full smiles than this funny half smile business! let the world see my improvements ;)

Leslie022

#7 Post by Leslie022 »

I work in the Jewelry Department at Wal-mart where every time I turn around, a mirror is capturing my oh so ridiculous "smile." I finally gave up and began flashing my oh so reflective braces! In all honesty, we look much more attractive showing the braces in a smile than we do trying to keep our lips from sticking on the braces and smile at the same time!

Off to "Math for Elementary Ed. - MAT 211" I go! *(and I'll be a few minutes late thanks to this addictive board!)

:pinkbraces:
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

I really wanna go to Utah now!!! That last picture is beautiful!!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

belmikry

#9 Post by belmikry »

leslie: oh , i agree! I work at a Barnes and Noble cafe, so at first it was super embarrassing for me to shout out coffee orders and smile at customers- I had this idea that if I half smiled, no one could see them- now that I see this smile I'm giving, [runs and hides...] lol- it would have been much more flattering to strike up a conversation about my braces then hide them :? ...

my friend got married last week, and I was a bridesmaid- she's quite hostile with me since all of the wedding pictures with me in them i'm half smiling or equipt with a stoic face- so I sort of look like I'm not having a good time, or i'm a snob! o_o...

flora: do it!~ it's gorgeous :)

Leslie022

#10 Post by Leslie022 »

I'm such a dork but last night I was watching the Special Features of the new Harry Potter DVD. In one of them, they were doing interviews with Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliff and the other one (Ron). Anyway, I noticed that Emma Watson had braces! She was trying so hard to hide them too and she looked ridiculous! She'd turn away from the camera or put her hand over her mouth or stretch her lips across the braces in hopes of hiding them.

Just another example that hiding them often looks more ridiculous than letting them show!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top