Just got spacers!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DixielandDelight01

Just got spacers!

#1 Post by DixielandDelight01 »

Hey everyone!
Well I'm finally about to make the commitment. I have been coming to this board for a while now and have posted maybe once or twice about a year ago. Well finally the ball is rolling.

I just got my spacers in about 30 mins. ago. and I must say I felt quiet awkward. Everyone was younger and they we running around the office so comfortably because they have probably been there a million times. Im about to turn 20 so I'm on the older side of most patients. I had 11 spacers put in and so far so good except for an instant tension headache. I feel a lot of pressure but no real pain...Hopefully it will stay that way.

I can't believe I am finally doing this. I have waited for a long time. I'll be getting ceramics on top and metal on bottom and I am pretty nervous about the whole look and the issues I might have but I know in the end it will be worth it. I'm just trying to stay positive! Well I will update soon!
-Tina :D

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

Congrats Tina! 11 spacers huh? yeah I can only imagine the headache later. :evil:

I remember feeling a bit out of place in our office too. I had gone there for 2 years with my oldest son, so I was familiar with the assistants and the ortho but I still felt silly my first couple times there. ( Most of the patients are teens but I have seen a couple adults)

I feel very comfortable there now though,and the assistants are always thrilled to see me when I come in ( that always makes me feel welcome) The receptionist actually got her part time job through me at the company my hubby works for (a restaurant chain). LOL
I am sure that in no time you will feel just as comfortable as the kids (esp if your visits are every 6 weeks or so for 2+ years like most of us)

Good Luck!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

bajanrose

#3 Post by bajanrose »

Wow 11.. well you have started! hehe I'm sure you'll feel comfortable in now time. Congrats on getting started. Keep us updated.
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

Flora2006

#4 Post by Flora2006 »

I never had spacers but I hear that they are so painful. Hopefully that headache won't last too long. :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

joeb1

#5 Post by joeb1 »

For me the only painful part of the whole process was the spacers, but asprin seemed to get me through it.

I thought I was really going out on a limb getting braces at 34. Now it seems like all of neighbors have braces and I'm the youngest of the bunch.

DixielandDelight01

#6 Post by DixielandDelight01 »

Thanks everyone for your replies! Much appreciated..
My teeth are hardly sore right now. They are a little more painful than earlier but not much. It kinda actually feels good to bite down?????One of my spacers isnt all the way down between my teeth so Im worried that it is going to come out but the assistant, whose name is also Tina, :) seemed pretty sure it wasn't going anywhere.

I thought 11 spacers sounded like a lot. Has anyone else had that many because I was thinking it would be like 4 or something. She had a hard time trying to get some of them in so I guess my teeth are really crunched together. No wonder I have such a difficult time flossing back there. (not that I do it to often but that will prolly change soon)

I plan on posting some pics of my teeth now once I get the courage up because you have no idea how hard I have tried to hide these teeth all these years. Well again, thanks everyone for your posts! I'm sure that I'll be a frequent here soon.
-Tina

DixielandDelight01

#7 Post by DixielandDelight01 »

Thanks everyone for your replies! Much appreciated..
My teeth are hardly sore right now. They are a little more painful than earlier but not much. It kinda actually feels good to bite down?????One of my spacers isnt all the way down between my teeth so Im worried that it is going to come out but the assistant, whose name is also Tina, :) seemed pretty sure it wasn't going anywhere.

I thought 11 spacers sounded like a lot. Has anyone else had that many because I was thinking it would be like 4 or something. She had a hard time trying to get some of them in so I guess my teeth are really crunched together. No wonder I have such a difficult time flossing back there. (not that I do it to often but that will prolly change soon)

I plan on posting some pics of my teeth now once I get the courage up because you have no idea how hard I have tried to hide these teeth all these years. Well again, thanks everyone for your posts! I'm sure that I'll be a frequent here soon.
-Tina