Braces at 47!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dundee

Braces at 47!

#1 Post by dundee »

Hi all,
In the past year 1 1/2 years my teeth have gotten really crowded and are pushing out. I finally decided to get braces. I was reluctant to go because of my age but the ortho office staff has really helped me along.

I had two upper bicuspids pulled on President's Day. I have an appt. for spacers on March 14th and braces on the 21st. They are doing the top first and then the bottoms later on.
Now that I made the leap I am looking forward to finally getting them.

After I had my teeth pulled I had severe canker sores above my gumline. The dentist gave me a numbing agent and dental paste. I read here about Rembrandt toothpast and have used that. It took about a week for the sores to go away. I hope they don't return when I get the braces.
That's all for now. I will keep you posted.
Thanks.

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Welcome to the over 40's braces club dundee! I just got braced on Feb 3rd, and underwent a surgically assisted rapid palate expansion this past weekend. I'm still recovering but doing well.

You won't regret your choice to fix your teeth, even though it may be a bit unpleasant at times.

Brandy

missing_tooth

#3 Post by missing_tooth »

Congrads! You still probably have 40 more years of smile left. Always worth taking care of yourself.

- Missing Tooth -

Dadio

#4 Post by Dadio »

Congrats and best wishes. Hang in there and join the adventure. Welcome to the Mid Forties Metal Mouth Gang!

HeadgearJoe

Re: Braces at 47!

#5 Post by HeadgearJoe »

dundee wrote:Hi all,
In the past year 1 1/2 years my teeth have gotten really crowded and are pushing out. I finally decided to get braces. I was reluctant to go because of my age but the ortho office staff has really helped me along.

I had two upper bicuspids pulled on President's Day. I have an appt. for spacers on March 14th and braces on the 21st. They are doing the top first and then the bottoms later on.
Now that I made the leap I am looking forward to finally getting them.

After I had my teeth pulled I had severe canker sores above my gumline. The dentist gave me a numbing agent and dental paste. I read here about Rembrandt toothpast and have used that. It took about a week for the sores to go away. I hope they don't return when I get the braces.
That's all for now. I will keep you posted.
Thanks.
welcome , oh yea 48 an a full metal braceface here , congrats on getting started dundee you going all metal or ceramic , hgjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

candygrrrl

#6 Post by candygrrrl »

Welcome to the wonderful world of adult braces! I'm 41 years old and after twenty years of my dentist hounding me to do something about my crooked, crowded teeth and cross bite, a few weeks ago I bit the bullet and started treatment. For the newly braced, I would certainly recommend what I've come to call KK's Two W's: warm salt water and wax. And lots of patience. :D

Best of luck!

Marzipan

#7 Post by Marzipan »

Good for you, Dundee!

I'm about to turn 49 and have braces for the first time in my life. So far so good. No regrets. The teeth are moving and closing gaps I have had for four decades.

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

Newly braced at 45 here. I figure I'll be using these teeth another 55 years so I wanted to my teeth and bite in better shape. Y'all think I'm kidding about the 55 years, right? Well, I'm not! LOL!

dundee

Thanks!

#9 Post by dundee »

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement, ideas and good wishes. I actually can't wait now to get started. I will certainly keep you posted.

krennen

#10 Post by krennen »

Welcome to the 40's club. Just got my second adjustment today. Things are moving slowly--the bottom wire changed today. I swear my bite changes constantly. My closed mouth position is still not comfortable. I do wake up at night trying to find a way to close my teeth, if that makes any sense. Still not a lot of pain, just an occasional sore tooth that seems to change every few days. I do wish the extraction gaps would start closing faster. Hope you find this site as entertaining and informative as I do!!

CLAmom

#11 Post by CLAmom »

Let me just add my welcome to you as well. I am 46 and holding and in braces for the first time. I am so anxious for my teeth to move and my bite to improve that I feel like I'm 16 again. This board has been an enormous help to me providing a wealth of information and understading from people in the same boat. Good luck!! :dance:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Marzipan

#12 Post by Marzipan »

Krennen,

I agree about the teeth seeming to move all the time. Sometimes I think I'm clenching them while sleeping. Or just after I've eaten, they "fit" together differently than they did one hour previously! It's a very odd feeling.

Not painful, newbies, just odd. :D