Molar Woes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

maneater82

Molar Woes

#1 Post by maneater82 »

I'm posting this because I tried to look up this topic in the search, and nothing turned up...

Has anyone ever gotten a cracked/fractured tooth from the pressure of the teeth moving?? Mine hasn't, but I'm curious what the chances of that happening are. I broke a bracket off one of my front bottom teeth, and went in earlier this week to get another one glued on. The wire I'd had in when I went into the office I'd only had on for a few weeks, but my ortho was impressed with the progress made and decided to bump me up to a bigger wire (and there I was, thinking I might actually be able to tackle some semi-solid food - my mouth was still sore from my last adjustment back in February!). Ever since then, there's been a significant amount of pressure on one of my molars, enough to where I'm subconsciously clenching my teeth when I sleep (like THAT'S gonna do any good :? ). I've never broken or chipped a tooth before, knock on wood, but I'm worried between the pressure of the new wire and me gritting my teeth that something might happen.

Anyone else have, or had, this problem? Any suggestions?

sydsmom

#2 Post by sydsmom »

I've heard it's possible to break or chip a tooth because of clenching or grinding.... though I'm sure it's not extremely common.

Since right before my first adjustment on March 1, I've started clenching too :-( It's so bad that it's waking me up 3 times a night, so I went to the ortho this morning and they made an impression to give me a bite plane so that I'm not clenching my teeth at night anymore. We'll see if it works ...
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06