Just needed to vent

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DixielandDelight01

Just needed to vent

#1 Post by DixielandDelight01 »

Well I went back to work today after being absent yesterday for my spacers and I guess one of my managers let everyone know I was going to the dentist (I didn't say orthodontist). So needless to say everyone was in my face enquiring about how it went and what was wrong. "How do you feel? with their sympathetic tone, "Is your mouth sore?" What did you have done? "Did you get a tooth pulled?" Heck no, I don't need any teeth pulled! I just have a cavity :twisted: I can't believe how they made it their business. I know they were just being nice but I got really frustrated with all the questions like they absoulutley just had to know. :evil: And also the fact that my managers just let everyone know my personal business. No big deal I guess but anyway. So, I ran my work excuse up to the resources manager and made a quick exit before she noticed the bold letters Limited to Orthodontic Practice on the top of the note. I was in no mood for more questions. Well, I shouldn't be so mean but I just had to vent about it.......I'm over it. :D

DixielandDelight01

#2 Post by DixielandDelight01 »

I guess I should have stated that I haven't got past the embarrassment and self consiousness of having to have braces just yet. And none of my co-workers know my plans of getting them. I wanted to be discreet for now. But once again, I will get over that too and I'm sure I'll be fine and realize late on there was no reason to get all tore up over anything =)))))
Like I said, just needed to vent.

missing_tooth

#3 Post by missing_tooth »

Sorry to hear about your day at work. I really don't think anyone meant any harm. I do agree it was not your supervisors place to tell other people. I'd be tempted to send a kind email asking to respect my privacy. People are rude and they are nosey.

- Missing Tooth -

Teigyr

#4 Post by Teigyr »

dixielanddelight01,

I am sorry to hear about this! You know...they will figure it out. I remember how it was when I got braces and all the comments. It gets better AND worse, sometimes. They'll get used to it and they'll cope. Maybe they are concerned? Sometimes people don't know what to say so they ask stupid questions. And sometimes it's best just to answer honestly. You will be the better person regardless.

I wish you luck in your journey!

Jane

ingyandbert

#5 Post by ingyandbert »

We have computerized calendars where I work and about 4 other people have access to my calendar. When I block out time for doctor or ortho visits, I just put "medical appointment" in that slot. I know in my head where I need to go and for what, I just use it as a means of reminding myself what time the appointment is and to let other people know when I'll be out. I don't think it's anyone's business what doctor or type of doctor I'm seeing. If I have two appointments close to each other, I might put "Dr. A" or "Dr. G" to remind myself but no one else knows what doctors those are.

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

I'm sorry about what happenned. I had a similar situation where one friend of mine new about me getting braces and the day after when we met up to go watch a basketball game, we were about 7 people and she just annouced to everyone that I had braces so for the rest of the night I didn't talk because I was so self-conscious.

Maybe you could just tell your managers/supervisors not too talk about this because you feel uncomfortable and self-conscious. They probably see braces and going to the dentist as no big deal and so I think that if you just tell them how uncomfortable you get, they will stop.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006