Chocolate

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flora2006

Chocolate

#1 Post by Flora2006 »

I know chocolate and any sweet isn't the greatest thing to eat while in braces...but I still eat some chocolate.

I was just wondering, you know those easter egg chocolates with cream inside? Some have that caramel inside and others have that white creamy texture...do ya'll think it's okay to eat that or could I mess up the wire and bracket? I know it's not advised to eat caramel and such but omg...i live for those chocolates during easter.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

paw655

panic!

#2 Post by paw655 »

Wait! I'm still in the evaluation phase for the braces (ugly story, see thread 'before you disclose' for the gory details) but please, is chocolate off limits with braces???

I know that chocolate is generally considered empty calories, etc with a lot of sugar, but is there a reason it is particularly off-limits for braces, or just not a good idea to eat as it has a lot of sugar with little nutritional value?

Bearning in mind I have no orthodontic or dental training whatsoever, here's my thought. The Cadbury eggs they sell where I live have this creme inside that is white with a yellow inside. It is basically a sugar mix, and no more liable to pull on a bracket or stick on something than eating the filling of a piece of soft, sugary pie like chocolate creme pie. I'd keep a toothbrush nearby, though.

I've never seen a Cadbury with caramel, but I'd imagine that wouldn't be the best idea. In reality, if one egg would killl off the craving, then go for it. The worst case scenario would probably be dislodging a bracket, which would be a royal pain, but Easter comes but once a year and brackets can be repaired. Sometimes you just have to live on the wild side, but in moderation.

Allison

drazda

#3 Post by drazda »

I love chocolate, and I still eat it *a lot*
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Evelyn

#4 Post by Evelyn »

Have no fear, chocolate is not off limits while in braces.

You can eat it as much as you want, just be extra careful when biting into it if it's hard or if there is particularily hard caramel.

If the easter eggs you're talking about are the same ones I'm thinking of, the inside is quite soft, and so it should be fine.

Don't let braces restrict your food supply too much; my philosophy is that you can still eat whatever you want to eat, just be a little more careful than before and you should be fine.
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Dark_angel

#5 Post by Dark_angel »

I believe your talking about cadburys creme eggs :P and i eat them with braces on so i dont see why you cant. In fact i eat pretty much watever i like the only thing i havent ate is toffee.

Im also a chocolate addict although im starting to cut down as im getting a little pudgey. Chocolate is great and in the first few days if your struggling to chew you can suck on chocolate or melt it down. Mmmm.....

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

Thank you all for your responses. I think this made my day!!!! : :lol:

I eat chocolate while in braces, I was just worried about eating those particular easter chocolates because the inside is very creamy and I know the ortho had told me to be careful with sticky stuff...

So ya'll posting and saying its okay really made my day because I've been craving those chocolates sooo bad, I'm gonna get some today and enjoy even bit of it :dance:

~~~~~~

weird_wired

#7 Post by weird_wired »

The bright yellow "yolk" in the centre of Cadbury's Creme Eggs may be a stainer - so be careful. I haven't had one for years but do remember it being a fairly intense colour.

Echo

#8 Post by Echo »

I think I have eaten every single thing on the "no-no" list for braces and I have never had a problem. Never a broken bracket or anything. I think you just have to be careful. As for the Cadbury eggs, I can't imagine them doing any harm, the inside is so soft. I have even eaten caramel apples with no problem. Of course I cut it into pieces first, but it has never been a problem.
[/url]

materialsgirl

#9 Post by materialsgirl »

Oh yeah, chocolate is definitely *not* off limits for me. No way could I go 21 months without chocolate! :shock: I eat a little bit of dark chocolate daily, and always brush my teeth afterward. And I am very much looking forward to this year's selection of Easter candies... I looooove Cadbury Creme Eggs! *drools* And Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. *drools some more*

Sorry, y'all are gonna have to wipe up all my drool here! I just love chocolate! :D

nimo

#10 Post by nimo »

The only chocolate I've had problems with was a Rollo. I've avoided the crunchy things, but I figured a Rollo would be soft enough. The chocolate part was, but the caramel part just kind of wadded up in my mouth, and I knew it was going to wrap itself right around my braces if I didn't spit it out right there.

Anything squishy, though, I've had no problems with. I can either lick it off, or it rinses out easily.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Teigyr

#11 Post by Teigyr »

mmmmm, Cadbury eggs! Meryaten is right though, they don't taste the same in the states. I think they are fresher in the U.K.?

I haven't restricted myself on anything though I am careful about what I eat in public.

Chocolate is sounding really good right around now!

Flora2006

#12 Post by Flora2006 »

Teigyr wrote:
Chocolate is sounding really good right around now!
Oh I know. After opening up this topic this morning and reading how those cadbury chocolates ya'll are still eating, I went out and got some. SOOOOO good!!!! :lol:

~~~~~~

hannah164

#13 Post by hannah164 »

OMG! I'm a frickin' chocoholic! I'm so serious! I almost always carry chocolate around with me! :wink:

No, chocolate is definitely not a "no no" and even if it was I couldn't care because I couldn't live without it for at least 4 years! :shock: No way! :cry:

I love Cadbury creme and caramel eggs! Easter candy is awesome! :D THe good thing is that the caramel is soft and smooth so I don't think it can do much if any harm! :) I found them really hard to bite into lately especially after my major adjustment, front teeth are so sore! :(

Keep enjoying that chocolate!
:wink:

~Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Last Adjustment: February 28, 2006 where they gave me a new bottom wire and attached my impacted canine, newly bracketed, to the wire! OUCH!

alexa

#14 Post by alexa »

I eat Cadbury Creme Eggs (and everything else I want) with braces. 8)
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

MadeIn1984

#15 Post by MadeIn1984 »

We're a family of chocoholics here! lol

I looooove Cadbury Creme Eggs! They're delish! In fact, I had one just the day before yesterday. I don't think they pose much of a much problem if you have brace. I've been having candy my whole life and I've never had a cavity. :D Just remember: stick to moderation. That's your best bet! :wink:
Visit me on MySpace! :wink: