granola, etc.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

akabraces

granola, etc.

#1 Post by akabraces »

hellooooo...

I'm getting braced in a few days and need
to do some food shopping so I was wondering--

is granola out of the question with spacers/braces?

browines?

cereal?

peanut butter?

just curious--thanks for your help!

*aka

materialsgirl

#2 Post by materialsgirl »

Well... I eat all those things with my braces on. ;) Except granola - I haven't tried that yet, but my granola of choice is not very crunchy/hard, so I don't think it will be a problem for me. Brownies are awesome for braces because they're so soft. Peanut butter, another great food for braces. Cereal, great, as long as it's not super-crunchy. I like shredded wheat and wheat chex- they get a little soggy in milk, which makes them that much easier to eat. You will probably find for the first few days, your teet are pretty sore when you try to chew things - so you'll want to eat a lot of things like soup, smoothies, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, etc. Then, as the pain diminishes, you can progress to chewier/crunchier foods. So stock up on really soft things for your first week or so. :D Hope this helps!

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:39 pm Post subject: granola, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hellooooo...

>I'm getting braced in a few days and need
>to do some food shopping so I was wondering--

Congrats!

>is granola out of the question with spacers/braces?

Um - this is not something that I would attempt even now after 8 months

> browines?
No problem

>cereal?

Raisin Bran sticks the worse, Cheerios stick the least.

>peanut butter?

I eat it practically everyday and it is a great snack to eat between meals if you don't want to clean out your brackets. Get the smooth kind

just curious--thanks for your help!

*aka
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

nimo

#4 Post by nimo »

If I'm not sure of something, but I'm dying to eat it, I eat a tiny piece of it before I just go chowing down. It's a lot easier to find out a little piece of granola is too hard than trying to be smooth about spitting out a whole mouthful of the stuff.

You definitely have to be more cautious of the things you eat with braces/spacers, but you don't have to limit yourself to only eating what my husband calls "old people food."
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008